Clio 197 - TDC Sensor location + changing?

Hi Guys,

I have an intermittent starting issue with my 197. Will start fine sometimes, other times can take a good fwe attempts.

it cranks over, just doesn't seem to catch. Can hear the fuel pump coming to life so think this is the sensible place to start.

Except...where is the sensor? Can't seem to find a picture anywhere (got a look at what the sensor looks like).

Also, I'm guessing once located I should try spraying with WD40 prior to replacing.

If I do replace, where is a good place to get a new one from?

Thanks in advance for any help!

located front of gearbox low down.....need to access it via the undertray

held with a 10mm bolt - take out and give the end a wipe as they can collect metal filings from the flywheel/clutch assembly

i would use genuine parts....

located front of gearbox low down.....need to access it via the undertray

held with a 10mm bolt - take out and give the end a wipe as they can collect metal filings from the flywheel/clutch assembly

i would use genuine parts....

Thanks Foxspeed.

So not in a position for me to lean into via engine bay then? :worried:

I could jack it up, but given I don't really know what I am looking for it might be better to take it to a mechanic. How much of the undertray has to come off?

Will order the part from Renault if required.

Very helpful Foxspeed thanks!

So a jack behind the drivers front wheel should give access, possibly.

I will see if I can somehow get this done without going to the garage but really need a ramp for this I reckon

im not a fan of pattern parts, dont always work, i would be going for genuine renault if i was you, when a member you can get discounts on parts from karl who trades for renault parts

but i would try removing the old one clean the tip with wire whool and make sure the electrical plugs are clean etc, every clio ive looked at (1.2s) i ended up cleaning the crank TDC sensor and it sorted the problem.

Last edited:
Thanks Ryan.

Just called Renault and ordered the original.

Its going to be hard work for me to get to this part (don't have a good setup for car work), at under 30 pounds I'll just swap it over so hopefully I don't need to do it again :smile:

If anyone has any tips on accessing the part I would be grateful.

My current plan is to access via the bottom:

Trolley jack either side of car and jack up
Remove undertray (no idea where the bolts are but will find)
Locate sensor going by the pictures
Change over etc

If there is an easier way let me know!

Thanks again all

Theres a choice on TDC i would need a marking from the one fitted on the vechile.

RRp

£31.06
£21.30

If your a paid member you would receive 20% off the part along with discounts on all other Renault parts. Then a postage charge on top.

Karl
www.scmrenault.co.uk
01483 301009

Hi Twingo,

Sorry I literally just ordered one from the local Renault garage. Will keep this in mind for the future.

For the markings, I relayed the markings from the picture put up by Foxspeed in the other thread where he has a close up picture. I assume all 197's use the same one?!

Thanks Ryan.

Just called Renault and ordered the original.

Its going to be hard work for me to get to this part (don't have a good setup for car work), at under 30 pounds I'll just swap it over so hopefully I don't need to do it again :smile:

If anyone has any tips on accessing the part I would be grateful.

My current plan is to access via the bottom:

Trolley jack either side of car and jack up
Remove undertray (no idea where the bolts are but will find)
Locate sensor going by the pictures
Change over etc

If there is an easier way let me know!

Thanks again all

you should be ok just jacking up the passenger side....and use an axle stand!!!

under tray is only a few 10mm bolts and just unclips

would this be two different sensors due to the revision of the gearbox?

Just an update.

Got the car up on axle stands, removed tray (about 8 bolts), changed sensor and all is well!!!

Easy job if you can get the car up safely, thanks for all the tips guys.

Car now fires first time every time!

Just an update.

Got the car up on axle stands, removed tray (about 8 bolts), changed sensor and all is well!!!

Easy job if you can get the car up safely, thanks for all the tips guys.

Car now fires first time every time!

result eh :clap:

cheque in the post please :tongue_smilie:

result eh :clap:

cheque in the post please :tongue_smilie:

Head on down to London and theres a couple of pints with your name all over them!

Now, if you could provide similar money saving tips for my other car that would be awesome! :smile: