Clio 197/200 or Clio 182?

182s are more exciting to drive around track and on a level playing ground performance wise. They are staring to get on now though by with a budget for 197s you could pick up a really tidy 182.

Day to day the 197s more comfortable and easier to live with but IMO fuel consumption is worse. The gearbox issue is a wise thing to consider if it's having a hard track life but then again the 182s JC5 box isn't exactly known for it robustness...

Having owned both over the years, I personally wouldn't go back to a 182, even just for track work. If your budget can stretch to it, a 200 is the best choice. (All in my opinion)

No the 182 gearbox isn't exactly a timebomb ala 197 but they do fail when subject to a hard life. If it was me personally I'd go for the 182 as it seems your after a track car that'll occasionally be used on road as opposed to a daily occasionally used on track?

182 = lightweight, more basic, cheaper to upgrade parts, cheaper spare parts.
197 = heavy, comfortable, more refined with (IMO) much duller performance.

Although the 197s brakes are an advantage in their own, a league apart from the 182s.

I've had a 182 and blown the gearbox lol.

I did think about getting another but the 197 looks soo much more modern and is a bit rarer which is something i look for in a car. Due to the cheapness of the 1*2s they are everywhere