civic, 1.6/type r... running immense bhp.?

Basically lol, friends just brought a 1.6s civic old ep3 shape, and this lads got a type r below, he reconds its quickest thing and best tunable thing by sounds of it, im just wondering if any of what he speaks is truth or absolute **** like i think lol....

also i dont no too much about type r, my mates got one but its modified to ****, all show not for go blah blah blah.

anyway below is the facebook conversation, i wasnt slagging the guy off, just doubtful of some things hes saying, he started with the usual, reliability, Honda>Renault etc...

Joe Cooper Mines type r, youl not regret it. **** hot cars.

William Owen wicked! good luck getting insured :wink: Sure liam will still floor ya in zee clio :wink:

Sean Green Already getting insured :wink: and no chance mines faster than his!

William Owen didnt i tell you, he brought my clio last night... meant that clio :wink:

Joe Cooper Dunna worry sean, youl be goin past plenty of french cars in a reliable motor. Haha

William Owen Yeah might be slow. But least you'll get their... Eventually :wink:

William Owen What's insurance for ya anyway fella

Joe Cooper Its better than avin to stop tho, better late than never. Easily boost these upto 350bhp with a bit of cash, and still have reliability on ya side. Honda ftmtw

William Owen ‎350bhp. Quote of the year.

Joe Cooper You not belive this?

Joe Cooper Think you should research a few honda engines pal. D16z6 can be turbod to this no problem, my mates 1.8 turbos jus been mapped to 370 on moderate boost on a standard block. Now whos gettin quote of the year?

William Owen Guessing he's got the 1.6 s or sport or what ever its called, they're like 110bhp, if it was a charged type r they put out like 300bhp... So from your quote 'easy'... I wouldn't say it's easy but doable... With a lot of cash

Joe Cooper Turbo charged type rs can be runnin 450 bhp without even forging it. A supercharger to low boost takes it straight to 300. Yes 350 is easy, with the right cash. And it wont cost anywhere near as muc as you might think.

William Owen If I was running either of them at those bhp's the engines internals would all be strengthen. Not saying it isn't true pal. Just saying its not easy, also surely.... Rather get a focus rs than charging a type r up that much?

Joe Cooper
Not from my perspective, check the price of a rs, then imagine watchin ford boys face as a type r goes past. Its about the element of surprise aswell as power. The 370bhp civic im on about has two seats a steerin wheel n dash clock, thats i...See more

William Owen I was on about everyday road use, also reliability, yeah Honda blah blah lol, but doing that much to engine isn't always most reliable regardless of who built the car. But fair play fella, as you say i can imagine the humiliation and all that, it's personal preference, sleeper ftw

Joe Cooper Yep, all about the sleeper.

and in the end i just tried to agree so he doesn't come 'Merk' me.... lol

Last edited:
They are very tuneable but no offence if he's a mate, but, he sounds like a bellend.

Like anything though, you pay your money and you wave your willly. The D series engines are popular for FI conversions for one reason or another and they seem to be pretty reliable when done right. The K series Type-R engine responds well to breathing mods etc., but from what I remember the ECU is as much as a bitch as the Renault one and if you want serious power you need to spend serious money on HONDATA ECU/software and the obligatory RR setting up.

And as far as relibability goes, I know of a standard and VERY well maintained CTR engine that went bang at 55,000Miles.

Sounds like the mate of a mate likes Jonny Tran a bit too much. :thumbup:

They are very tuneable but no offence if he's a mate, but, he sounds like a bellend.

Like anything though, you pay your money and you wave your willly. The D series engines are popular for FI conversions for one reason or another and they seem to be pretty reliable when done right. The K series Type-R engine responds well to breathing mods etc., but from what I remember the ECU is as much as a bitch as the Renault one and if you want serious power you need to spend serious money on HONDATA ECU/software and the obligatory RR setting up.

And as far as relibability goes, I know of a standard and VERY well maintained CTR engine that went bang at 55,000Miles.

Sounds like the mate of a mate like Jonny Tran a bit too much. :thumbup:

Offend all you want, i dont no the guy, i was just saying nice new car to a mate and he pipped up... blah blah blah lol

pretty much what i thought, il let him keep his Head held high thinking type r>all other cars.

Hahaha!!! Let him have his moment on the soapbox mate, sometimes it's not worth arguing with people like that.

Ffvtec.jpg

To be fair there's a much bigger tuning market for them so while in NA form theyre not much different to the clio there's plenty of turbo/charger kits for them and then they would be fun.

320bhp is about the limit on a k20 engine before having to go forged as the compression is to high..

As standard, any clio will struggle with a clio, unless they are ringing its neck..

I turbocharged a friends b16a civic standard 160bhp, full custom setup, with standalone management garrett turbo etc etc, fully mapped -240bhp -personally i think is really impressive, but that is about the limit for a daily drive again due to compression ratio being high...

If you splash the cash the sky really is the limit with honda's, like anything really. Bisimoto run 700whp in a daily drive 1.6!!! haha -but that is exceptional

-Andy

I had a 1.6 ep2 civic (sport). Bought it to save some cash after trading a bmw 325ti. The single worst mistake of my car buying life. Had the civic three boring weeks before it got traded in.

Think he might be getting mixed up with the old old 1.6 in the crx.

Last edited:
B16A is a superb lump. :smile:

Is that the same as used in the ek9? If so they do sound hilarious, that was back when vtec was proper vtec i.e. mmmmmmmmWA!AA!AA!AA!
These days it's watered down and smoothed out.

I looked at those before I got the Clio, I just don't fit into Japanese cars :smiley:

Yeah that's the one, it was like somebody had just turned the volume upto eleven all of a sudden hahaha!!!

Is that the same as used in the ek9? If so they do sound hilarious, that was back when vtec was proper vtec i.e. mmmmmmmmWA!AA!AA!AA!
These days it's watered down and smoothed out.

I looked at those before I got the Clio, I just don't fit into Japanese cars :smiley:

The lump they used in the ek9 was a b16b had 187 hp ad Vtec kicks in at 6200 and limit 9000 I believe an amazing engine so much so that one found its way into my mini pickup ....... P.s all b series have the best Vtec crossover k series you can't really hear Vtec

The lump they used in the ek9 was a b16b had 187 hp ad Vtec kicks in at 6200 and limit 9000 I believe an amazing engine so much so that one found its way into my mini pickup ....... P.s all b series have the best Vtec crossover k series you can't really hear Vtec

I have a k series and you can definately hear the crossover :smile:. As for his statements the 1.6 block is capable of 350 horses however i wouldnt call it cheap or easy. Charging my K series would take me to 300hp but its an expensive process and reliability would decline as it does with tuning most cars.

Just thought i would put some bisimoto links in, as they're engineering is nuts:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84LmN-2AUXI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAl180zN3Z0[/YOUTUBE]

-Andy

A healthy CTR EP3 when driven like it should be (shifting @8200rpm) is much faster car than the stock 197/200.

Tried numerous times with CTR and Clio was faster until my friend bought one healty EP3 - he's <2 lengths of a car faster than I am.

When we play with CTR's induction, he gains ~5bhp more (had it on a dyno before - 190bhp, and after - 195bhp) and another 2 lengths.

HOWEVER: if I was to decide which car to choose I would go for my Clio.

IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0150.jpg

IMAG0160.jpg

Last edited:
A healthy CTR EP3 when driven like it should be (shifting @8200rpm) is much faster car than the stock 197/200.

Tried numerous times with CTR and Clio was faster until my friend bought one healty EP3 - he's <2 lengths of a car faster than I am.

When we play with CTR's induction, he gains ~5bhp more (had it on a dyno before - 190bhp, and after - 195bhp) and another 2 lengths.

HOWEVER: if I was to decide which car to choose I would go for my Clio.
Im lucky enough to have the best of both worlds (197 + EP# :smile: Just sold my sorrento green 1992 205 GTI yesterday though :worried: sad to see her go.

I have a k series and you can definately hear the crossover :smile:. As for his statements the 1.6 block is capable of 350 horses however i wouldnt call it cheap or easy. Charging my K series would take me to 300hp but its an expensive process and reliability would decline as it does with tuning most cars.

This was what i was getting at, he said, 350bhp easily... and i was like... nahhhhh lol

but as said i dont no all that much about civics and tuning.

Cheers guys.

that 700hp 1.6.....when he revs it you can hear the turbo lag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no induction filter - nice!

as for the engineering involved not sure i am that impressed really - anyone can bolt an oversized turbo to an engine and claim massive gains but is it really usable day to day :coffee:

tis true, but considering the idle quality, i'd be happy driving this daily, and the owner does..

Bisimoto designed the cams, inlet manifold, exhaust manifold, pistons, crank, rods.
Built the engine, manufactured both manifolds, exhaust system and intercooler as well as installed the standalone management.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Adam_C Other Marques 22
X Other Marques 24
930Tech Other Marques 27
BEEFTEC Gallery 8
B Gallery 17