Cat Dilemma

krash67

Gold Member
Car due for a MOT, currently fully decatted with after market exhaust manifold (cheap) and a full akro system.
Do I :-
a) refit the original manifold, considering the aftermarket one was slated by RS in leeds stating that the original Renault ones are about the best performers, apart from R3 units or
b) fit a sports cat?. allowing, with the intention of changing the exhaust manifold later for a better unit and having the flexibility of fully removing the sports cat. Down side is hacking into the akro system!
c) slip the MOT tester a fiver!

......Hmmm :001_unsure:

I have no experience with this but if you're completely happy with how the car is now i'd be finding a 'friendly' MOT tester.

Saves a lot of hassle and there is people out there that would be willing to do it. A bit extra on top of MOT would be a lot cheaper than a manifold swap.

Tough call, especially with such an expensive exhaust and the same dilemma that all full system Akra owners will have!

I *think* you can pass emissions test with just the post manifold cat, so i wouldnt worry about the manifold for MOT purposes.
The post manifold cat is more important as its the visible one. So subject to a visual check aswell as ensuring it passes emissions.

Option B

maybe, but the rules have changed, its something being 'leinient' about emissions but given there is now a visual check, thats much more black and white IMHO.

Last edited: