Car won't start!

Big Ben

Loves to rag the VAG!
Paid Member
Got in car noticed interior lights were bit dull.

Pressed brake and start button but nothing happened other than lot of clicking followed by message saying steering wheel not locked..!

Locked car and reopened and tried again but same scenario. Central locking is working fine.

At no time did the car attempt to turn over?

Have called the AA.

Just wondered if anyone had any views while I waited!

Ok tried moving steering wheel to engage steering lock. No luck. Car won't start.

It now says Braking Fault and dash warning lights illuminated.

Interestingly I can't now lock the car using the remote!!

Hopefully a new battery is needed

B
Got in car noticed interior lights were bit dull.

Pressed brake and start button but nothing happened other than lot of clicking followed by message saying steering wheel not locked..!

Locked car and reopened and tried again but same scenario. Central locking is working fine.

At no time did the car attempt to turn over?

Have called the AA.

Just wondered if anyone had any views while I waited!
battery

Sounds like battery to me.

I know these cars can go into 'spazzy mode' when the battery gets near the end of its life..........

Fingers crossed for you Ben :smile:

Sounds like it's just the battery, if it's on its way out these cold days will make it worse.

Either that or alternater isn't charging it properly.

Reactions: sevenfourate
Yep, hoping it's battery mate. I've lost one before and the car went similarly nuts.

Fingers crossed for ya fella.

Car did go nuts alright...!:grin:

Just needs a new battery so panic over. Eurocarparts got 30% off so not too expensive. Will collect it tomorrow.

Thanks for all your thoughts/replies

Mint. Pleased for you Ben.

Funny how randomly throwing away money you were not expecting can feel so good at times huh?

Good news it is just the battery.
Maybe it is good to get battery checked between some years. In my country where we do have really cold winter seasons we replace battery between 3-5 years. Most people also do charge batteries with c-tek automatic charger if they drive short distances to avoid battery draining.
I think battery health check measurement is free also in UK. Recommended.

Reactions: Jimmy and Big Ben