Car DVR / Dashcam

Seems to becoming a more and more apparent that alot of motorists are using these for everyday driving, Im looking at getting one, apart from using for a daily for any incidents I would like on for the spirited b road blasts, I dont want to be spending a fortune on one, have seen a fair few in the 30-50 region, and have seen a few reviews on youtube (techmoan) and the cheaper ones seem to get half decent reviews,

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/category/car-dvr-dashcams

Has anyone on here got an in car camera (I know alot use the hero but dont want to spend that much) if so what would you recommend?

Cheers
J

Funny enough I just installed one in the meg today, the mobius action cam. Seems pretty decent and install wasn't too hard (providing you can solder some wires together).

Like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mobius-Ac...rofessional_Video_Cameras&hash=item232c961f6a

Quality is decent on both the video/camera side of things, it also has a TON of options (needs plugging into a PC ideally to setup) but mines currently in testing as it only got fitted this afternoon.

I have a hero 2 I've used to record track days etc. and tbh I'd tell anyone looking to get an action to buy one of these ^ things unless they need it to be water proof.

Last edited:
Video:

[video=youtube;DV7HZNWEUtE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV7HZNWEUtE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Any chance of a pic of the set up paddy?
I mounted it up high so it's hidden from my view by the rear view mirror. The power lead goes straight up to the headlining where it runs across to the passenger side where the power lead is then he behind the 'A' pillar trim then down through the panel at the side of the dash, behind the dash, behind the trim around the gear stick and hand brake to the 12v socket. You can literally see about 2-3 inches of the power cord.

From inside:
IMAG0288.jpg

And from outside (barely noticeable):
IMAG0289.jpg

The camera itself starts recording when I start the engine and stops recording around 15 seconds after the engine is switched off. It also had a 'lock' button which if you press it stores the clip it is currently recording permanently so it doesn't get recorded over as it records constantly in a loop onto the memory card. I put a 32 gig memory card into it and get about 8-10 hours at full HD onto it.

Last edited:
Sweet so you wired it in instead of plug in each time?

Also whats it like at night?

It still plugged. The 12v socket in the Clio isn't permanent so I just keep it plugged into it, I use a 2-1 adapter thing incase I need the socket for something else. At night its OK, but no camera is great a night. You can see what's happening and all but due to the lack of lighting it does struggle for the details.

Last edited:
It's not all that hard to wire them in so you're not using up the 12v socket too.

Fuse-tap off ebay(2 amp fuse?)
12v-5v converter/transformer off ebay

Some small gauge wire
usb cable you don't mind cutting up

It involves some soldering but nothing actually on the car needs cutting/soldering so it can be removed easily and without any permanent changes to the car.

Probably not, those LEDs IF or otherwise will do naff all so that's a waste and it only does 1280 x 960 so no 1080p. You really don't need a screen unless you absolutely MUST review footage on the spot.

For £14 and all the somewhat useless additions to it the quality of the actual video hardware must be pretty dire.