197: cambelt change?

My clio 197 is 5 year old now but I got a feeling it need cambelt changing!
And does it need water pump replace too?

I don't do many miles.

Thanks

I don't think the water pump is a necessity, but it's not a bad idea to get them done at the same time as it's located near the timing belt, so it saves a job down the line - think that's about right?

Definately get the waterpump done. The belt would have to come off again if you needed to change it at a later date.

Definately get the waterpump done. The belt would have to come off again if you needed to change it at a later date.

Especially considering it's a cheap part.

I'm having mine changed tomorrow. Cambelt, aux bel, waterpump and tensioners. I've opted not to change the dephaser pully as there is only 40k miles on my car and I haven't got the spare £££ at the moment.

http://www.birchdown.com/

Giles, I'm taking mine there next month. They quoted me £578 for both belts, seals, water pump and coolant and labour.

If I supply the parts it will be £260.71 just for the labout. I think I will buy the parts from Karl and let them do the labour. I'm hoping it will be about £500 in total.

+1. I was at Birchdown on Friday and they quoted around £500 off top of their for my Cambelt next year. If it's in your reach they are a great bunch of guys, great job on my car too. FYI. I'd do water pump too becuase if that goes your back to square one.

Thanks. Let me know how it get on there.

My 197 will be alright till end of year get done or need get it done now?
But I won't be using it for whiles, should be ok?

+1. I was at Birchdown on Friday and they quoted around £500 off top of their for my Cambelt next year. If it's in your reach they are a great bunch of guys, great job on my car too. FYI. I'd do water pump too becuase if that goes your back to square one.

Cool seem interesting place to go there.

Where about it is?

It'll be fine (however i'm not responsible if it isn't)

The same parts are used on the 200 and they have a 6 year interval...........

Seems expensive, here's the price for Cliosport members at Diamond motors

Clio III 197/200 Timing belt change (Including new water pump):

Retail customer: £495.00
Club members: £430.00 (Saving £65.00)
Please note, ALL Clio III 197 timng belt services above include for:

1 - The provision of a new, genuine timing belt kit.
2 - The provision of a new, genuine aux drivebelt kit.
3 - The replacement of camshaft seal, camshaft fixings, crankshaft pulley bolt.
4 - The provision of a new, genuine water pump.
5 - The replacement of engine coolant with new Type-D

My clio 197 is 5 year old now but I got a feeling it need cambelt changing!
And does it need water pump replace too?

I don't do many miles.

Thanks

Hi Giles,
I had the cambelt, aux belt, and waterpump and the tensioner that comes with the cambelt kit as standard done.

My clio wasn't at 72k but it was over it's 5years and at 43k (got it done in the 6th year last month) . I had been putting it off for a while as money was a bit tight at the time but got it done in the end and now it's peice of mind. :smiley:

I only do 6k a year. Takes me 10mins to work so mainly urban driving but motorway once or twice a month so not alot of driving but didn't want to take any risks.

Hi Giles,
I had the cambelt, aux belt, and waterpump and the tensioner that comes with the cambelt kit as standard done.

My clio wasn't at 72k but it was over it's 5years and at 43k (got it done in the 6th year last month) . I had been putting it off for a while as money was a bit tight at the time but got it done in the end and now it's peice of mind. :smiley:

I only do 6k a year. Takes me 10mins to work so mainly urban driving but motorway once or twice a month so not alot of driving but didn't want to take any risks.

That what I was thinking.

Cheers mate

leave it until next year yr6.....200 are on 6yrs/72k and its the same parts!

cheers foxspeed!

I can stop worry now!

Seems expensive, here's the price for Cliosport members at Diamond motors

Clio III 197/200 Timing belt change (Including new water pump):

Retail customer: £495.00
Club members: £430.00 (Saving £65.00)
Please note, ALL Clio III 197 timng belt services above include for:

1 - The provision of a new, genuine timing belt kit.
2 - The provision of a new, genuine aux drivebelt kit.
3 - The replacement of camshaft seal, camshaft fixings, crankshaft pulley bolt.
4 - The provision of a new, genuine water pump.
5 - The replacement of engine coolant with new Type-D

That's very tempting.

Guess I'm lucky.... I'm in the trade and got genuine cambelt kit, camshaft plugs, water pump, drive belt and tensioner and a litre of antifreeze which was lost when removing the water pump for 190quid. But I would still pay the going price that other have mentioned to get it done by people that know what there doing, it is worth it !

I was gonna ask something like this as my clio is 5 too, guess Im gonna have to get it sorted then... :worried: boo