Buzzing/humming noise

Hi I'm new on this site , recently bought a 197 which had cam belt and pump changed as a condition of sale been fine for the week I've had it but noticed yesterday ( weirdly after weather improved) a strange whining/buzzing noise intermittently thought is was ac but turned it off and it continued no effect on engine performance seems to occur when stopped at lights or in car park? Any ideas?

Hi Paul, welcome to the family :french:

Have you got a video of the noise? Might help us try and figure it out :smile:

Also does it disappear when the engine is fully warmed up?

Hi Paul, welcome to the family :french:

Have you got a video of the noise? Might help us try and figure it out :smile:

Also does it disappear when the engine is fully warmed up?
Hi thanks for reply I haven't caught it on video yet but will try it only started yesterday today's been ok so far weird one when it happened engine was fully warmed up ill keep in touch cheers.

Reactions: Dystant
My initial thought is could possibly be the PCV valve, when it gets clogged up it can make a very odd whining noise but it usually goes away once the engine has warmed up.

It's fairly easy to eliminate whether or not it's this, there's a guide on here if you're a member you can view it, here's a link.

Takes about 15 minutes to disconnect it and clean it.

I mean this is just my first thought, it could be completely unrelated but without a video it's difficult to know :smile:

Also if you said Cambelt has been done recently I imagine that eliminates the AUX belt as the suspect of the noise.