Buying a car with a private plate

leeboy

Paid Member
Evening

Ive currently got a car lined up to view/buy but it currently has a private plate on the car. The owner is about to do the retention paperwork for the plate. I have absolute no interest in his plate as I have my eon to go on, but does this mean I'm going to have to wait around three weeks before I can actually take the car?

Or is there some way of being able to take the car under the agreement that as I have no need for his plate and that when his paperwork arrives I can get the new registration on the car?

Cheers chaps!

I'm pretty sure you can go directly to dvla Swansea and get it done same day?

Might be incorrect though!

I used to go into my local dvla office but I'm pretty sure they have all closed now, anyway this is how I used to work it,

You can sign the log book as normal into the new keepers name and address, then fill in a V317 which is just the retention application form but fill in the original owners details as a nominee then you sign that form because you technically own the plate because you're the new keeper of the car, you'll need the tax disc number £105 and the mot certificate. Then the new keeper gets the log book back in the post and the old owner will get his plate on retention.

Thats how I used to do it in the office! Guess you'll just have to do it thru the post now tho. Sure someone will correct me if I've said it wrong

So as I'll be the new keeper, Can I drive the car away on his plate until the retention paperwork comes through and then swap the plates? As I don't want to be waiting up to 6 weeks as it says it can on the dvla site!

Should be able to drive it buddy, they give an allocated amount of time

Yeah as Gez says you can drive it ofcourse, you'll get the original reg thru in the post and that's when you take the private reg off

So I could drive his car away, with his plate, without him being left in fear that I will take his plate? Which I'm not going to do, but you can't trust anyone now days can you!

When I sold mine, I did all the paperwork and told the new owner the plate was coming off. He paid cash and drive off. After a few weeks I text him with the new reg, posted him the new tax disc and he got himself a new reg plate.

So what happens with the v5? Fill it out that I'm the new owner and send that off at the same? And dvla sort the rest?

Make sure it has lots of tax and MOT or it can be a right farce and you may end up not been able to drive it till it's sorted.