Brake Issue - Caliper?

Rishi

Platinum Member
I changed my brakes a few months ago but my n/s disc had worn ridged (running your finger you could feel the disc worn unevenly) I changed my brakes this past weekend and it already has a line going around the middle of the n/s disc.

Now it could be something caught in the pad, I'm also thinking it could be an issue with the caliper, maybe one of the pistons not working so more pressure is being applied on one half of the disc. I'm wondering can the pistons be replaced one by one, or does the whole caliper need replacing if it's not working correctly?

Thanks for any advice :smile:

You can replace the pistons and seals separately.

Id recommend doing both sides though, new pistons and seals on one side is going to work more efficiently than the older other side and give you uneven braking id have thought.

Thanks mate, I spoke to renault parts and they just quoted me for a new caliper, I did ask if you can buy the pistons/seals separatley but he didn't mention anything...

I would pull both the pads off the caliper and check the pistons are resting in the same position.

Ideally they need removing an inspecting to see if they are pitted / damaged. If not damage then they can be re-used and regreased.

I had a sticky piston on mine when i first got it and a regreased solved the issue.

If you need any links to the bits i used , give me a shout.

Thanks buddy, I'm probably going to go with a whole new caliper but if I decide on replacing pistons I'll give you a shout.

All my pistons are moving freely, pushing back in and popping out evenly when the brake pedal's applied, so seems I may have just picked up a stone and scored half the disc, I guess it was just a coincidence the previous disc on that side was blued.

I would pull both the pads off the caliper and check the pistons are resting in the same position.

Ideally they need removing an inspecting to see if they are pitted / damaged. If not damage then they can be re-used and regreased.

I had a sticky piston on mine when i first got it and a regreased solved the issue.

If you need any links to the bits i used , give me a shout.

Have you got a link to the pistons and seals as I would like to do mine over winter as the dust seals are looking very second hand.

Have you got a link to the pistons and seals as I would like to do mine over winter as the dust seals are looking very second hand.
Brembo seals -http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-CLIO-RS-197-200-FRONT-BRAKE-CALIPER-BREMBO-SEAL-KIT-BCK4023BZ-/262452089496?fits=Model%3AClio%7CCars+Type%3A197&hash=item3d1b5d1298:g:CnsAAOSwepZXRGHx

Pistons - Didnt need to replace mine, but i contacted this guy and he can supply if needed
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271704518551?euid=da19494e4883487fa765a5d8ceffff2c&cp=1

Reactions: john_walker74