Bleeding Brakes (197)

Guys,

Refurbed my calipers, new seals and pads. Refit them and bled the system today.

No signs of any air left, however the pedal still isn't as firm as I'd expect.

Quite abit of travel and spongey. Any suggestions?

Cheers

New pads? If so they will take a while to get a hard pedal, or you still have air in. Have you bled the whole system? Rears first offside rear caliper then near side, then front near side then front offside, and the clutch....

I have had my rear calipers off twice this week and the 1st time I blead them I got all the air out, after 2nd time realised there was a bit of air def still in the system and pedal felt a good bit better.

Womble, I've read about the order of bleeding and some people reckon front first, others rear first - why would you say rears first? Also, what did you mean by the clutch comment? And yes, I'm experiencing the same problems so am after some advice too!

You always bleed furthest point from the master cylinder first. No point in dragging air all the way through a bled system. Ie get aircrew fluid to the furthest points first then work back. Then do it again. The Clutch is worth doing as well as it is a point where air can form and then that will enter the system as well. Most people and garages forget about the clutch, but it's fluid is constantly being heated and cooled more than the brakes.

its true about the pads..leave it a few miles and the pedal will get its feel again..but bleeding brakes is a tricky business.tried 2x and failed..best do it with a help of a friend or 2..also tried bleeding following the order and vice versa..not made any difference..

That's good to know pav. ABS isn't working either so gonna get the guys at ktec to have a look. Figured I could buy more fluid and still be no better off.

i might make it sound worse than it actually is but the last time i had them bled,it took 3 guys(my mechanic and 2 of his mates) + a professional bleeder tool to get the air out...my argument is that its not expensive and u dont want to find urself with no breaks when u need them..good luck..:wink:

Stupid question, but as you've taken your calipers off, have you put the right one back on the right side, the right way up?

one issue is when people bleed their brakes they open the bleed nipple too much...this then causes air to be drawn back in on the upward release of the brake pedal...

Ok another tip. You need to take all the pads out and push ALL the pistons full in. Then remove the furthest bleed nipple. Then let the fluid run out under gravity, no pressure. What can happen is you get an airlock behind a piston. You need to do this to all the calipers until you get a good flow of fluid. Once you have done that. Start at the rear and again slacken the nipple, then depress the pedal, at the bottom of the stroke tighten the nipple, repeat this for about 10-20 strokes. Doing it this way keeps the piston fully in, and that way you will get all the air out. Once the rear is bubble free, on the last depression of the pedal try and shut the bleed nipple half way through the stroke. Repeat then after you have done that you can press the pistons back into contact with the pads. You will now have perfect brakes. You will use a lot of fluid doing this and you need to keep the reservoir full, or you will be back to square one. Remember the clutch as well. You don't need any fancy tools just a 11mm spanner some clear tube and a friend. Easiest done on a 4 post lift or on axle stands.

Womble, I've read about the order of bleeding and some people reckon front first, others rear first - why would you say rears first? Also, what did you mean by the clutch comment? And yes, I'm experiencing the same problems so am after some advice too!
just to come back to the clutch question...have ur clutch (slave cylinder) bled as well.had mine done last week and all good..much better feel now..

one issue is when people bleed their brakes they open the bleed nipple too much...this then causes air to be drawn back in on the upward release of the brake pedal...

I always close the nipple at the bottom of the stroke, then re open at the top, etc etc, then no chance of getting air back in.