Blanking plate...

Hi,

Did anyone ever delve deep enough and find a reason as to why renault put the blanking plate in front of the oem air feed? It does seem a tad strange, but I am always a believer in "they must have put it there for something".

So did anyone ever find out why?

Is there any proven benefit to removing this whilst running a standard intake setup?

Funnily enough I was about to start an identical thread tonight!!! I'd also like to know why. The only reason I can think of is to avoid water (during jet wash or even under extreme conditions) or even dust going straight to the filter? I can't think of anything else really...

Last edited:
I just cut mine out a couple weeks ago, going to stick some neoprene pipe in there just to line things up a little. I cant see why they stuck it there.

Funnily enough I was about to start an identical thread tonight!!! I'd also like to know why. The only reason I can think of is to avoid water (during jet wash or even under extreme conditions) or even dust going straight to the filter? I can't think of anything else really...

agree cannot see it for any other reason! had mine removed for years now and so far no issues...

My last few cars all had something (a small ramp type thing in the case of the ST) that blocked the air going straight into the OEM airbox. They must be there for a reason.

Ok, I had a feeling it might be related to water/dirt etc, so for anyone that removed it, did you really notice any difference at all? Was there any point?

Ive had a lot of thinking about this and the only thing i could think why its blanked is maybe back air flow pressure to keep it all flowing at the same rate if that makes any sense.Think the filter its self copes with the dirt/water.

I'd say to prevent excess dust and water over long periods rather than to keep pressures the same as I'd think it's only after the filter that would really matter, iv seen it on many cars in the past ill leave mine in I think

I'd say to prevent excess dust and water over long periods rather than to keep pressures the same as I'd think it's only after the filter that would really matter, iv seen it on many cars in the past ill leave mine in I think
I would of thought the filter its self would cope with the dust and water.

Hmmm, I will leave it be too, I am always a believer in "they must have put it there for a reason"....

I ran mine for years without, you just need to clean the filter more often as it gets dirty quicker, it certainly wont mess any thing up as the filter will stop anything getting into the engine