BIG Decision to make ...

Adrian

Platinum Legend
Platinum Member
Right then guys 'n' gals, time has come to start thinking about what to get for my next car. Was intent on waiting to see what next years all new Clio was going to look like. Dont want to buy brand new again, so by the time a Renaultsport version comes out and finds its way on to the second hand market, well we could be talking 2 years wait at least!

Really enjoy the Renaultsport brand and all the enthusiasm that comes with it. I had a test drive in the Meg 250 which felt good but not mindblowing. Cant get my head round the way it looks either, some angles look good, others look VERY questionable. So I think that is out of the question as I know I wouldnt be 100% happy :rolleyes:.

One of my other 2 options would be an R26.R in Nimbus or LY. There seem to be lots of black and white available, but when spending that amount of money I really dont want to buy privately, would prefer the piece of mind a garage brings. They seem to be pretty rare in the dealer network ( although Madeley Heath have one with 11k on the clock ).

Lastly, and what I have already had a look at is the BMW 330D/335D Coupe. These are more than the R26.R, but has 4 seats, comfort, speed, and decent economy.

There are that many good cars to choose from, it has been difficult narrowing it down to those 2, but looks like it will be one of them. Anyone want to throw a spanner in the works? Been thinking of it for a few weeks now.

Oh and try not to be biased towards the Meg - I am trying not to be :wink:

If your talking about meg 250's and 335's that's a bigb budget what 20k the newer biturbo 335's demand about 20-26k .
R26r's are amazing bo doubt but tbh I'd be hard pushed to spend 20k on a car with two seats !

I've driven a 335 touring and try are biblically quick and to be honest in the world we live I'm now with rising fuel costs , running costs etc when spending such a large amount of money that has to be a priority. For me an uber quick derv would be the way to go .

As much as my heart wanted a r26r my head would be screening derv !

I too have driven the 250 and wasn't impressed with it it didn't feel as fast as the clio in a wired way I just though I wasn't driving it properly lol oh and that clutch is a joke! I couldn't live with it at all!

My Uncle has a 330D and being completely honest they arent worth the money - you are still paying a lot for a BMW badge and not for the build quality. On that point their washer jets fell apart due to the cold weather and it has taken 4 months to replace (as its now warmer) but he has been warned it will probably happen again this winter :001_unsure: The torque is immense but they are only as fast as a 197 (I know lol :wink:). Only real benefit would be fuel economy and even that is only 35-36mpg with 70% motorways!

I would do what others are doing and sway towards a R26 just because they are so much rarer than a BMW and you dont get labelled a c0ck for driving one lol! Oh and you have to go for LY m8 :001_wub:

Failing all of the above just stick with the 197 and bank the extra dosh!? :w00t:

330d single turbo yeh ok
335d TWIN turbo yeh baby !

I have to admit and as per a few of my other posts on this forum I want an r26 badly now after going in withoutabix's there really nice . Sporty enough to feel good , rare enough to feel special and after u throw a grand at one for phase 2 remap £600 and £464 for an updated intercooler you'll be pushing 270bhp ! To good not to .

Lastly, and what I have already had a look at is the BMW 330D/335D Coupe. These are more than the R26.R, but has 4 seats, comfort, speed, and decent economy.

Are you kidding me? I looked after exactly the same cars (335d Coupé, R26.R) when I was thinking about trading the 197 in...
Depends on what you´re planning in the future...wife, kids etc.

An R26.R is not a car that is keen on compromises... i.e. my gf literally hates 6-point harnesses. Not really the bondage type anyway :lol:

Make a list of things you absolutely need from a car and consider what is really important for you.

Right then guys 'n' gals, time has come to start thinking about what to get for my next car. Was intent on waiting to see what next years all new Clio was going to look like. Dont want to buy brand new again, so by the time a Renaultsport version comes out and finds its way on to the second hand market, well we could be talking 2 years wait at least!

Really enjoy the Renaultsport brand and all the enthusiasm that comes with it. I had a test drive in the Meg 250 which felt good but not mindblowing. Cant get my head round the way it looks either, some angles look good, others look VERY questionable. So I think that is out of the question as I know I wouldnt be 100% happy :rolleyes:.

One of my other 2 options would be an R26.R in Nimbus or LY. There seem to be lots of black and white available, but when spending that amount of money I really dont want to buy privately, would prefer the piece of mind a garage brings. They seem to be pretty rare in the dealer network ( although Madeley Heath have one with 11k on the clock ).

There are that many good cars to choose from, it has been difficult narrowing it down to those 2, but looks like it will be one of them. Anyone want to throw a spanner in the works? Been thinking of it for a few weeks now.

Oh and try not to be biased towards the Meg - I am trying not to be :wink:

been looking at a 330d this week!!! came across one on pistonheads with the m sport kit and nice black bbs wheels, and a remap at 26obhp with very good fuel econ..

with the clio 2day. stuck 40 pound in today, only drivin about 150miles and am near the red again......

Strange reading the comments on the 250, as I wasn't too enamoured with it either! I found the clutch too fierce, the brakes snatchy and the overall experience a little ho hum, tbh. Nice enough car, but not worth 25 grand.

dont sell the 197!!!!! keep it! im keeping mine for life!! ive fell in love with ours and even when the missus buys her evo 9 ill still be driving the R27.