Big Bens non Clio

Decided on a whim to get a proper map on the Cupra as I wasn’t certain what my JB4 tuning box of tricks was doing. They’re quite big in the VAG world but you can’t beat a proper map imo.
Anyway after plenty of internet research(makes a change) I stuck the pin in a company the other side of the county who had decent reviews. Spoke to the chap and finished the call happy with my choice. This platform has been done millions of times over the years in various gti Golf R Audi S3 etc etc platforms and there’s not much between any of the reputable companies by all accounts.

Anyway, “stage 1” (snicker) ECU & TCU map installed and it’s a beaut. Lazy, keeping up with traffic in comfort mode to spicy in sport to batshit violent in Cupra. The gearchanges are so sharp I’ve no idea how that’s achievable. Motor is incredibly torquey and starts pulling at a lowly 2200 and pulls hard all the way to the redline. I’ve read up on clamping pressures and torque limit adjustments but I’ve got to admit I’m out of my depth with all this wizardry!

I missed my Clio for the first time when I heard recently that it had been sold on again. Feels grubby that it’s being handed about and not being loved like it used to be. I guess we all get that with old flames?

Wouldn’t mind another track day soon as the last couple have been much fun. Will see

TFLIMG_4062.jpeg

I thought you said it was already mapped by Unicorn?
Correct mate. Well remembered! The seller told me that Unicorn supplied the map for the JB4. After a while I doubted this and traced previous owner who suggested I contact Unicorn. Anyways turns out I wasn’t told the truth and unicorn hadn’t touched the vehicle:disappointed:
What I will say is that it wasn’t a bad map that was on the car when I bought it. Just this new one a bit better in the delivery and smoothness. Not night and day quicker. But I’ve got a clear picture in my head now and know 100% what I own

Reactions: R20BTG and Beany