Big Bens non Clio

Also Ben, I think choosing a very technical track like Spa (with elevation changes, high speed corners, not a lot of run off in some areas and the randomness of weather) as your first one is what is causing you to be disheartened.

Go to somewhere like Bedford Autodrome, it is very flat, massive run-offs, has a good mix of some faster bits and some tighter, technical stuff.
No one naturally gets in a car and is an F1 driver, it's hours of seat time in all conditions that makes you better. I haven't done a trackday in ages, I am probably so crap now, but when I do my first one it will be back at Bedford for a shake-down, then onto some more fun and technical tracks.

Do not lose faith, as I nearly did what you did on my first trackday (I picked Silverstone, in a MK2 Ibiza GTi 16v, it's a fast track and everything there had multiples of my power and torque, so I wanted to call it quits, but then I picked other tracks more suited to my car and fell in love!)

Reactions: Pav
Thanks @Sean197 @Micah @Beany @Johnny 99 @suj @Benno
@tombate911

Cheap wheels and ps4’s or Rainsports will be a definite if I go back on track. Will mean removing the rear seats and possibly getting a garage at future events but so be it.

Didn’t really want to go whole hog track car. I’m stuck in no mans land with a bit of a weekend toy and bit track car. Will keep you all posted what happens.
Might be best to just get back on the horse ASAP :wink:

Thanks @Sean197 @Micah @Beany @Johnny 99 @suj @Benno

Cheap wheels and ps4’s or Rainsports will be a definite if I go back on track. Will mean removing the rear seats and possibly getting a garage at future events but so be it.

Didn’t really want to go whole hog track car. I’m stuck in no mans land with a bit of a weekend toy and bit track car. Will keep you all posted what happens.
Might be best to just get back on the horse ASAP :wink:

So much better with the rear seats out IMO! Going to get some sort of carpet sorted soon for it. Let me know if you want my 200 wheels, I'm sure we could sort something out. They've got to go soon, I'm going to get shot by the Stepfather when I bring the Speedlines in from the car!!!

Mate, really sorry to hear it wasn't all shits and giggles for you.

All I can do is echo what everyone else has said. Spare set with proper wet tyres on would make the world of difference. My first ever track day was a freebie through a mate in March at Oulton Park. Scared the shit out of myself!

I can't possibly stress this enough, get some proper professional tuition. Will completely transform how you look at it, I promise.

Can recommend a couple of VERY good instructors if you need, just shout.

On the plus side, your car still looks bloody awesome. And I disagree that you're in no man's land. You've made the best you can of a best of both situ. It's perfectly fine for what you want out of it I think!

So much better with the rear seats out IMO! Going to get some sort of carpet sorted soon for it. Let me know if you want my 200 wheels, I'm sure we could sort something out. They've got to go soon, I'm going to get shot by the Stepfather when I bring the Speedlines in from the car!!!
Thanks for the offer bud. I’ll be after something with an offset around 50-53 so I don’t need spacers if I get some:thumb:

Reactions: Beany and ///M
I agree with @///M your car is great for what you need. My car is also not a full track car, but has tweeks & mods that help on track without losing the back roads ability. You can get wheels in by folding the back seats, no need to remove them, just use an old blanket to protect the car & stuff between them. I've done this when changing tyres on my 2nd set of wheels.

Reactions: Beany and ///M
If it's worth my 2p.

I have just done a soaking wet trackday at Silverstone.

Brand new PS4's up front, some worn Conti SC3 on the rear.

Front grip was fantastic, no under steer at all and had good traction. (admittedly i'm on a stock motor)

Rear was pretty loose, but that's how i like this car to feel.

I rate the PS4's massively, if its a car that gets road and track use these are a perfect all round tyre. Yes a semi slick will kick its arse on a bone dry day, but this is England and they are few and far between!

I'm in the same boat as you in that i want a usable car that does it all, and i gotta say the PS4's are a key part of that.

Get back out with some more suitable rubber and love life, i'm sure after 2/3 days you will be showing up much more expensive machinery in that beast!

I agree with @///M your car is great for what you need. My car is also not a full track car, but has tweeks & mods that help on track without losing the back roads ability. You can get wheels in by folding the back seats, no need to remove them, just use an old blanket to protect the car & stuff between them. I've done this when changing tyres on my 2nd set of wheels.
Thought you had to remove the rear seats John. Cheers for the heads up
If it's worth my 2p.

I have just done a soaking wet trackday at Silverstone.

Brand new PS4's up front, some worn Conti SC3 on the rear.

Front grip was fantastic, no under steer at all and had good traction. (admittedly i'm on a stock motor)

Rear was pretty loose, but that's how i like this car to feel.

I rate the PS4's massively, if its a car that gets road and track use these are a perfect all round tyre. Yes a semi slick will kick its arse on a bone dry day, but this is England and they are few and far between!

I'm in the same boat as you in that i want a usable car that does it all, and i gotta say the PS4's are a key part of that.

Get back out with some more suitable rubber and love life, i'm sure after 2/3 days you will be showing up much more expensive machinery in that beast!
Appreciate that post. A lot of sense spoken there.
I’m already looking at options for wheels and tyres. I’m keen to try the PS4’s. They’re probably what I need if I stick with one set of wheels.
Cheers

Reactions: Beany
If you don’t mine losing the middle seat try getting a cup rear bench as it’ll all fold down as one and maybe save weight too :smile:

Reactions: Big Ben
glad you had a good time despite your tire issues...we all have been there..sucks when you have no grip and cant get any heat either...
im sure,as above,another set oif wheels with wet tires on should sort you out for sure...just dont give up on track days..
you still owe me one in the NW :tonguewink:

Big shame to hear that matey!
Would of been good to take you out in mine, and to be honest the morning was awful with grip levels. i was spinning in 3rd down the pit straight and very little grip around the corners with lots of drifts. But luckily there was a small dry window! but i know when you've made the mental decision in your head that enough is enough the last thing you want is other people talking you around. Hopefully our next track day will be dry! Was good to be out there with you :thumb:

glad you had a good time despite your tire issues...we all have been there..sucks when you have no grip and cant get any heat either...
im sure,as above,another set oif wheels with wet tires on should sort you out for sure...just dont give up on track days..
you still owe me one in the NW :tonguewink:
That’s true mate! Let me know when you plan one
Big shame to hear that matey!
Would of been good to take you out in mine, and to be honest the morning was awful with grip levels. i was spinning in 3rd down the pit straight and very little grip around the corners with lots of drifts. But luckily there was a small dry window! but i know when you've made the mental decision in your head that enough is enough the last thing you want is other people talking you around. Hopefully our next track day will be dry! Was good to be out there with you :thumb:
Cheers mate. Was great seeing your car in action. Utter weapon. Love the stance on it as well now. Perfect.
I’ll be back on track soon enough I reckon. Looks like I need some wets!

My cup has full leather.

On another note, maybe just try a few track days in better weather and get used to it before making any decisions.
Get used to the car as in with boosted engine?
I’ve around 10-12 trackdays in last 2years in Clio. One of them with boost. When you book a trackday the weather can’t be guaranteed unfortunately so if I go again having an option tyre is the only way I’d consider doing one.

Hi Ben, really surprised to hear that you are being disheartened matey just because of some slippery conditions? Come on, we all know you are better than that [big_man_hug_here]

You are not a newbie for sure, you've done quite a few track days already and you know where you stand. Can't add anything more than already has been said but as we all know the tyre is the only contact to the road, if it's the wrong tyre it doesn't matter whether you are a f1 or a WRC driver, the car won't grip. What I would have done if I was you is to ask Tom to borrow his wets and pay towards the wear. Even for a few laps, trust me, you'd experience a totally different car.

I was contemplating selling my ultras, straight away I realised that I was talking non sense, I'll use up my R888s and the replacement will be a wet tyre (Rainsports). Most of the track days I've done in the UK were wet, why bother with semi slicks?

Funnily enough I was talking to Sean@Jade when I picked up my car and apparently, the race wet tyre they are using on the Clios has more grip in the wet than the AD08R in the dry! This is crazy, group buy then???:smile:

I felt the exact same in the morning, completely deflated and frustrated. We were on the wrong tyres, simple as that. When the dry line appeared for about 10 minutes in the afternoon it changed everything.

The car's just got to be setup right. I have no doubt you'd have loved it if it was dry!

Hi Ben, really surprised to hear that you are being disheartened matey just because of some slippery conditions? Come on, we all know you are better than that [big_man_hug_here]

You are not a newbie for sure, you've done quite a few track days already and you know where you stand. Can't add anything more than already has been said but as we all know the tyre is the only contact to the road, if it's the wrong tyre it doesn't matter whether you are a f1 or a WRC driver, the car won't grip. What I would have done if I was you is to ask Tom to borrow his wets and pay towards the wear. Even for a few laps, trust me, you'd experience a totally different car.

I was contemplating selling my ultras, straight away I realised that I was talking non sense, I'll use up my R888s and the replacement will be a wet tyre (Rainsports). Most of the track days I've done in the UK were wet, why bother with semi slicks?

Funnily enough I was talking to Sean@Jade when I picked up my car and apparently, the race wet tyre they are using on the Clios has more grip in the wet than the AD08R in the dry! This is crazy, group buy then???:smile:
A man hug from you is always welcome mate:grinning:

Basically I screwed up only having Yokos with me. I was quite cross about it! Having 290lb/ft going to front wheels made it beyond my limited driving capabilities. I knew when to “call it a day”. I’d of binned it otherwise and that was not a chance that I wanted to take.
So I live to fight another day. Looking into another set of wheels and Rain sports(probably). I’ll have both track conditions covered then and will be guaranteed to enjoy the day.
Hope you’re well mate. Maybe see you on track later this year

Get used to the car as in with boosted engine?
I’ve around 10-12 trackdays in last 2years in Clio. One of them with boost. When you book a trackday the weather can’t be guaranteed unfortunately so if I go again having an option tyre is the only way I’d consider doing one.

That's what I meant, getting used to the boost.