200: Before I Buy??

Hi all,
I am new to this forum but just thought id say hello.

I have recently moved to a new position in the same company that sees me commuting by train to work. This leaves me doing 50 miles a week with a company car. I have decided to opt out of the company car scheme and take the cash option. Having owned a few cars over the years (DC2, Elise S2, DC5 and a Trophy) I have decided to buy a used 200 for getting to the station and weekend drives. The trophy I owned was brilliant and trouble free for the two years I had it so that’s why I have gone back to a Renaultsport.

Id like to ask a bit of advice on a few things though before I buy one:

Are there any major mechanicals that are common on 200’s?

What are give away signs that a car has been on a few too many track days (or a hard life)?

Finally, how much is yearly road Tax (ive heard different amounts)?

Cheers for any feed back

Tickle :thumbup:

Last edited:
£250 car tax
Gearbox probs on some but not all
20-30 mpg
Enjoyment unbeatable
Forum the best
Welcome mate

Welcome.

You'll love the 200 and bear in mind that these cars were made fo the track and most people that track them are enthusiasts who maintain their cars probably better than some lad who just hangs about Maccy d's in the evening.

There's a few people on here that do quite a few trackdays and I'd buy a car off all of them because of how they look after it.

Thanks Fernandez, I have never though about it like that before regarding the maintenance of an enthusiast. I will bear that in mind now.

Totally agree about a tracked car, the more it's been round a track, the less it's been ragged from cold around the endz with the boyz!

(Usually)

Enjoy your stay and get out on a test drive in one, you won't regret it! :smile:

does the manufacturers warranty carry over to new owners? only asking because of the gearbox horror stories I am reading about.

yep of course. can also be extended for a year for approx £377 - available via the renault UK website.
Just bare in mind, the longer the warranty the less they cover.

I had it and when my handbrake went - wasn't covered. When my door button went - wasn't covered.

Serious.

Would have cost me £300 but I played my face about them being unreasonable and they met me half way and paid £200.

Just had a quick look to see if the extended warranty includes the gearbox and it does.......but doesn't include 'wear and tear' suppose thats the grey area what is classed as wear and tear!

Just had a quick look to see if the extended warranty includes the gearbox and it does.......but doesn't include 'wear and tear' suppose thats the grey area what is classed as wear and tear!

What spec are you looking for? I'll be selling my 11 plate Gordini in the near future.

Hi, looking for a Cup with Recaros not keen on black or yellow. I will only buying in mid October onwards (as that's near to when the company car goes)

Cheers

Tickle

Hi, looking for a Cup with Recaros not keen on black or yellow. I will only buying in mid October onwards (as that's near to when the company car goes)

Cheers

Tickle

Hi Tickle, Ive put my car in the for sale section on here and the renaultsport forum not yet advertised on piston heads or autotrader, id rather sell to an enthusiast plus my new car won't arrive until end of october. Please check out the threads...

http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25954

http://www.Renaultsport.co.uk/commu...-Gordini--Speedlines-Cup-Chassis/Default.aspx

Serious.

Would have cost me £300 but I played my face about them being unreasonable and they met me half way and paid £200.

mmm - I would have been kicking up a major fuss as listed covered items includes central locking and braking system which I would say includes both of those.