ball joints

can u actually buy the ball joints for a 197 as individual joint? as i am having trouble sourcing them and keep been told that i have to buy the whole hub. of course theres a big difference between 20 quid and 200 quid? can any body help

If it's the bottom swivel on a 197, they're £200 from Renault and are part of a large casting, just had to wait 3 weeks for one.
The swivel is available for around £20, but you apparently need to heat up the casting and need a press to get the swivel out.
Ian.

I was talking to one of the cup racer guys about these, you can get them from renaultsport for around £35 but not from renault.

He keeps a pair in the fridge and heats up the swivel to put the new ones in.

He's getting me one for next weekend as i have a spare swivel needing one, the guy i bought it off put a new unit on from renault, around £200 like said.

I think it's not easy to buy stuff from R-Sport but if anyone needs one i can get one through my local team.

This is interesting, I have two stub axles with knackered swivels, would be worth £50 a pop to have new swivels fitted. Renault list it as a separate part, but I believe RUK don't import it.

RUK say they haven't had to import many, so isn't an obvious problem, but as posted elsewhere, it'd be interesting to see how many failures there were int he UK. My wife's car is a 58 plate with 43k on the clock.

Ianboom.

I was talking to one of the cup racer guys about these, you can get them from renaultsport for around £35 but not from renault.

He keeps a pair in the fridge and heats up the swivel to put the new ones in.

He's getting me one for next weekend as i have a spare swivel needing one, the guy i bought it off put a new unit on from renault, around £200 like said.

I think it's not easy to buy stuff from R-Sport but if anyone needs one i can get one through my local team.

I'd take 2 off you if possible? Both mine have movement. **** paying Renault £400 for the privilege

I collected a pair of these at brands this weekend.

brands_btcc2012_041_zps8fea15ea.jpg

Ball joint part number 8200438088, £28.20 + VAT.

Top hat part number 8200503482, £4.95 + VAT.

The top hat fits in the opposite end like a bush.

As above the phone number is 020 8540 9991 and i belive they'll post out.

If anyone has a swivel with a worn out ball joint they'd like to sell, i'm after one for the N/S passenger side.

So, what's required to fit them?

The guy at 20/ten racing told me he keeps his in the fridge.

Then with the old joint out (by warming it up and pressing out) keeping the swivel hot with heat, just dropping the cold ball joint in.

Is this part definately different to the lower joint on other Renaults? I guess the arm is different, but the ball? Just I found:
http://catalogue.faiauto.com/parts/SS6101#anchor
These are available widely at motorfactors(ands micsgarage as posted earlier)

I don't know if that pic is of the correct part (or generic) but it's not the same as the one i have in front of me (the ones pictured earlier) the one in that list have grooves in it, a mate fitted one like that to his megane sport but it is different to the ones i got from Rsport.

Are we talking the same part?

Is this part definately different to the lower joint on other Renaults? I guess the arm is different, but the ball? Just I found:
http://catalogue.faiauto.com/parts/SS6101#anchor
These are available widely at motorfactors(ands micsgarage as posted earlier)

If the pic is the acctuall balljoint then it is wrong. That one as from most motor factors is for a standard clio.

I have mine in bits at the moment and have had one of these after being told it would fit but doesnt !!!!

rick