Baby on the way - Do I really need to can the 197?

As above. Be good to hear from any dads/mums that use one of these as a family wagon for a nipper. You hardly need the space when they're that small surely!? Not ready to give up the Clio yet...

Hi mate, i have to kids and the clio is just fine for space, the boot easily takes a pram or 2 buggys and more and the wife has never complained about space so i wouldnt give the clio up just yet! Good luck with the wee nipper mate ☺

It's a hatchback...

What's the problem :smile:?

I think getting a baby carrier in the back may be a little bit of a pain as it's not 4 door (The ones you can clip in), but I'm sure it's a pain you can bear if you really love your clio that much. Just be sensible when you're driving as all eyes will be on you. Also, it's probably beneficial to get a "BABY ON BOARD" sign to hang in the back to let people know that you're not going to be hooning it at any time with a baby in the back.

I've got a 2 & 10 year old, only issue I have is the crisps & chocolate being consumed on the back seats :swear:

I used a 3 door 225 with my daughter, the front seat ISOFIX was a godsend, sod lumping her in the back though. It's alright when they're newborn but soon as they pile the weight on plus the car seat getting them in the back through the front is a nightmare.

Thanks chaps. The Clio stays put. Buying another car seems a much more sensible option so a Passat estate can come in near due date. job jobbed.

I've got a 20month old daughter, and she loves the "daddy's car" more than I do! Got a little boy on the way too, and haven't considered getting rid of the Clio just yet. I've even done long distances in it, with absolutely no issues. If you don't want to let the car go, then there's no reason you should.

Mate we have an 8 month old daughter and never had a problem. Our pushchair doesn't fit in anyone's boot apart from mine without taking it apart and got to get the baby on board and the cat face sun shade things are a must have

My one year old always sleeps better in my car...think its the hard suspention loves the vibrations and the exhaust sound..(f1 minus mid silencer).in mummys car he often does not fall asleep.(97 polo)....true story

Both cars are no problems at all with one child.

Once you move to the next stage seat you dont really take it in and out....the new born seat you do......Its an art to do it smoothly if he is asleep but we didnt use my car too often....practise with little one not in the chair :smile: would not dream of changine the clio.

Last edited:
Why? He's asking about a clio not a Pagani...
[MENTION=4906]Matt W[/MENTION] You'd be surprised how your 'friends' will be watching you and waiting for you to act up so they can put you down for it. Seen this happen far too many times.

Uhmm ok not sure what you mean by that!

I'm sure someone would say something if I was driving around with a baby in the back with two white stripes and the Gordini package. There's always one.

Boy Racer look with a baby in the back, someone is bound to say something and will keep eyes on you. People always put other people down!

Surely if you are responsible enough to own a baby then you wouldn't really care what someone has to say about you?

Surely if you are responsible enough to own a baby then you wouldn't really care what someone has to say about you?

Of course. But I'm talking about people driving up your bumper because they want to 'try it on', not realizing you have a child in the back. It's dangerous. All eyes on you including your family, girlfriend, police and boy racers.

Guy in work was forced to get rid of his Fiesta ST because his Mrs wouldn't put the kid in there, even though the guy is perfectly responsible, all her friends agreed with her. <All eyes on him kinda thing. They were practically waiting for him to mess up to give him the excuse to get rid of it, but he got rid of it anyway in the end. Shame.

If you're hooning it around with no child in the back, someone from friends of family may ask you what you're doing driving like that because you're a dad now! Even though there is no kid in the back :wink:

Catch my drift now? I'm pretty crappy at explaining things but I hope you get what I meant by saying that :smile:

Last edited:
I don't get the whole thing of 'oh we are having a baby, so need a massive car'. People used to use minis for 2 kids and they were fine.
When buying a buggy/pram just make sure you get one that folds down small enough for the boot.

I don't get the whole thing of 'oh we are having a baby, so need a massive car'. People used to use minis for 2 kids and they were fine.
When buying a buggy/pram just make sure you get one that folds down small enough for the boot.

Exactly! My parents had a mini when they had me and my sister!

da736f8a55c9034aa20c756cfecd835e.jpg

8f515757846303f39d69a0ebe8ce8582.jpg

cb302bc2db8c4eb6f914285b8b4af214.jpg

Checklist for my December road trip...
1. Pregnant wife
2. 1 year old daughter
3. Cooler box
4. Golf bag
5. Stroller
6. Camp cot and mattress
7. Luggage for 3, for a week
8. Spare wheel (full size 17" raider with Toyo R888)
9. Random carrier bags with munchies

Any further questions?

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Stevoox Spotted 9
G Gallery 2
N Gallery 1
Scotty H Gallery 24
B Gallery 5