Any suggestions on this engine sound?!?

As chris said , sounds to be coming from left hand side of engine in the cambelt area. When we're the belts last done?

Does sound like a pulley/belt sort of noise. Heard worse though, as above when were the belts last done? Should be every 5 years or 72k iirc.

So in theory you shouldn't need doing yet, as on an 07, it should have been done in 2012... BUT a lot of folk only get the cam belt kit done to save money, they don't have the aux belt kit and water pump changed at the same time. Which is a shame as it's usually the water pump which can start getting noisy which basically = a cam belt change again to get it sorted.

ALS performance up in Cumbria have quoted me a very decent price for the job lot: cam belt kit, aux belt kit, water pump and dephaser pulley. All genuine Renault parts. I'm going up there at the end of this month to have it done. Mine's also an 07 and it's ticked in the book the belt was done in 2012 but I've no invoice for it, so I'd rather be safe than sorry. Don't want to take chances with the belts on these, even the aux belt, if that goes it can take out the cam belt too!

I only had the cam belt changed like 3 weeks ago.. I've been told it's the tensioner? Not exactly sure what that is if anyone knows? [MENTION=53806]Mattb_197[/MENTION] [MENTION=52200]montana[/MENTION]

I only had the cam belt changed like 3 weeks ago.. I've been told it's the tensioner? Not exactly sure what that is if anyone knows? [MENTION=53806]Mattb_197[/MENTION] [MENTION=52200]montana[/MENTION]
Cambelt tensioner ? If so that should have been changed with the cambelt.

Or auxiliary belt tensioner (which you can see if you look down the left hand side of the engine) again this should have been changed with the cambelt.

What exactly did you have done 3 weeks ago and who did the work?

They should have fit a genuine Renault cam belt kit which would include the tensioners. However it's good practice to change the water pump at the same time as everything else is off, it's just easier, but unless you ask for this they won't do it as it isn't part of the cam belt kit.

I hope for your sake it's something on the aux belt side and simply having an aux belt kit fit will solve the issue. Otherwise you'd be looking at forking out a lot of labour to have the water pump changed as it runs off the cam belt, so basically it's a cam belt change again! They also don't recommend re-using a cam belt once it's been under tension. Fingers crossed it's on the aux belt side pal!

It could be something on the AUX belt side. How long ago was your cam belt service done?

As a test you can remove the AUX belt and start her up, if the noise goes you know if it's related to that or not then. If not then my money would be on the water pump which is basically a cam belt change job.

It could be something on the AUX belt side. How long ago was your cam belt service done?

As a test you can remove the AUX belt and start her up, if the noise goes you know if it's related to that or not then. If not then my money would be on the water pump which is basically a cam belt change job.

The cam belt was done 3 years ago, done 30,000 miles since. It only happens when the engine is cold, once warm the noise is completely gone, engine sounds lovely and pulls strong

All you can do is what I suggested, take the aux belt off and start the car. If the noise is gone, a new aux belt kit should fix the issue. If it's not then you know it's likely to be something running of the cam belt, usually the water pump bearings start to go. Was the pump changed along with the cam belt 3 years ago out of interest?

If it's not too noisy I'd be tempted to leave it but if it starts to get worse I'd change everything for peace of mind. You can get the kit to do everything from here all genuine Renault parts. It's just a case of finding somewhere decent to fit it.

To be honest it was changed by the previous owner, I need to ring the garage to find out if the water pump was changed at the same time, more than likely has as the previous spent fortunes maintaining it, but I double confirm. Yeah I get my mechanic to get the aux belt off and see if the noise goes. I hope this is the case, don't fancy doing a cambelt change, just paid out for new eagle f1 tyres all round and a full wheel refurb this week, plus I'll be putting the car up for sale soon

Last edited:
Looks like the right kit but while he's got everything off why not buy the kit I posted from als-performance? That has a new de-phaser pulley too, which makes sense to replace while everything is off. It could well be that making the noise listening to the video again (if yours sounds the same as the OPs?). They were a nightmare for going on the earlier 172s/182s. I'd hate for you to pay £200 plus the cost of that belt kit from eBay, do all the work and the noise still be there afterwards!

EDIT: The als-performance kit also includes the aux belt kit, but I'm sure you could phone them and they'd supply just the cam kit + pulley for less the cost of the aux belt kit if you wanted. If you search Clio 197 de-phaser pulley a lot of people recommend having it done at the same time as a cam belt change.

I notice you said you'll be putting the car up for sale soon... is it really worth forking out changing? It'll prob not add much to the resale value unless your trying to sell private for top money. Have you a video of it running once everything is warmed up?

Last edited:
Yeah I make you right I might as well do the whole lot just for piece of mind. Yeah I'll upload some vids tomorrow from cold and warm.

My my plans were to put it up for sale this month, there's no real reason for sale just fancy a change and trying out a fiesta st, but if I'm doing the cam belt I might as well enjoy the car for another 6 months, also as I previously mentioned I just had all the wheels refurbed and new tyres all round, my car looks immaculate now.

Yeah, you might as well enjoy it over the summer and if you still fancy a change after that put it up for sale towards the back end of the year.

The new shape Fiesta ST? - I drove my mates a few weeks ago, it was nice, but I'm not sure it's a huge step up from the Clio really in terms of a drivers car. It's not really any faster, at least on the roads we had a bit of a play on. OK it's more modern and the engine is more flexible for a daily driver being turbo'd but the handling on the Clio and the feedback you get when driving it just feel better to me. But then I like a car where you have to ring it's neck to get the best from it. A lot of these new turbo hot hatches I find quite boring unless they are pushing serious power. I wouldn't say no to a new Focus RS, just a bit out of my price range at the moment lol.

Yeah the new shape one, that's what I'm concerned about is the handling with the ST! The Clio is just a weapon around corners and the brakes are amazing, just gives you so much confidence in the bends. Did the ST give you that confidence? (obviously it's your mates so I guess you can't go to mad lol) yeah the new RS looks a bit of a beast, out my price range as well, the new fiesta ST200 just announced looks well

I wouldn't say the handling on the ST is bad, it's just to me the Clio offers more feedback through the wheel and you feel a bit more connected when you drive it hard if that makes sense. The brakes are superior on the Clio that's for sure but then your comparing Brembo 4 pots to standard single piston calipers. It is easier to drive the ST quickly, being turbo it has more umph coming out of corners and the fake electronic diff works well. You'd have to be on it in the Clio to keep pace with one round a track was the impression I got.

The ST's do drive and handle well, but it's a very different drive to the Clio so you'd have to drive one yourself and make your own mind up.