Any mods make a difference?

As the 197's have been tweaked and modified by Renault over the years, and with it being a N/A engine, is there any mods on the car that actually make a noticeable difference?

The only thing that seems to make a difference is an ITG Panel filter, but the amount of other mods I have seen, they all seem to suggest that other mods actually slow the car down!

As we have recently got the car, anythng we can do to make things better, e.g better fuel economy, lower revs in 5th & 6th gear etc?

u wont get better fuel economy. a straight through exhaust system and remap would get u a bit more power if thats what ur looking for

you could spend thousands of ££££££ but i learnt reading everyones mods on here you would get very little gains
its fast enough anyways lol

you could spend thousands of ££££££ but i learnt reading everyones mods on here you would get very little gains
its fast enough anyways lol

^^ This. Also as posted mate, I doubt you'll get anything to increase the MPG other than changing your driving style. Someone on here changed their gearbox for a Megane Derv unit which drastically lowered the revs. However this will cost you dearly in the driving style/acceleration of the car, which to me is the whole point of it :smile:

ITG, Remap & Exhaust (I'd keep the cat though to be honest, you'll lose torque with a decat) will give some more noise and a little more oomph.

But, beyond that you're looking at £££££ like Roy & Robo said. Inlets can be matched too but it's debateable how much of difference that'd make.

Dan ure right but..... Once u go on track u will always want to improve it, suspension, speed etc

See threads on v6 airbox...some interesting mixed views. Like most forums, (with the utmost respect) comments are often made by what people have read and not actually done. I read stuff about the 197 which I found to be BS once I owned one. I'm interested in the thoughts of people who have done them. Dyno's also don't tell the full story either. Doesn't tell you about improved drivability.

A dyno is power proving nothing more, a drivers needs are all different.

The best mod you'll buy for track use is tuition.

For £20-odd you can't add anything to the car that'll make it faster over a lap then what a good tutor will make you able to drive it.

A dyno will never really give you the exact power of your car as the conditions and calibrations are too variable.

I've seen my standard 197 (itg only) and my mate's 200 (akrapovic + KN filter) make anything between 203bhp and 175bhp on different dyno's. I even apparentlymade 10 bhp more than him at one dyno day.

I'm not rubbishing dyno read outs but they're only really worth your time if you realise that they are only useful to advise of gains in output, not measuring the cars overall power.

Last edited:
Our 197 will never be a track car, which means most creature comforts wont ever be disappearing.

In fact, we are about to add more weight to it tomorrow when we go to a pro-install to upgrade the whole sound system.

Apart from panel filter & remap, there is not really anywhere else to go, even though its true to say its fast enough already, as its a 2.0 N/A engine, its not until you add turbo that you get massive gains

You shouldn't mix your dynos just like you shouldn't mix drinks. Stick to one and use that and then if you tune up you can measure to see if you get a gain or not but the actual figure is just regarded as pub talk by most as we all know

Similar Thread Suggestions