Clio 200 - Mods

First proper post on a Clio forum.

Have owned my black Clio 200 CUP for several years putting 54,000 miles on it since! I absolutely love it and the aim is to keep modifying it slowly (ish). I'm gonna need to buy a cheap run around to daily soon as the Clio is approaching 92,000 miles and I want to keep it healthy for as long as possible. Have kept up to date with services etc so all should be ok for a while.

I didn't know too much about cars in general but have learned a lot since owning it. Something I now think is such a great aspect of being a petrol head and having a go.

These are the mods in order:

Akrapovic exhaust - bought and installed by Demon Tweeks
Remap @ EFI Parts (206 bhp)
Brakes upgraded to Ferodo DS2500 pads with Brembo HC discs - local garage
KTEC Induction Kit - myself
KTEC Manifold - Jade Developments
Eibach Pro-Street S Coilovers - Jade Developments
Replacement OEM clutch - Jade Developments
Re trimmed steering wheel - Jade Developments
Remap @ EFI Parts (due to the manifold, 198 bhp)

Mods for the future:

Catcams Camshafts - all the belts need doing next year so makes sense
Wheels - probably Sparco Assetto Gara
Front bumper re-spray

Any other mods people have done I'd love to know about it. I've seen a few threads on here and some look unreal! Btw, Chris at EFI was even surprised at 206 bhp first time around, he put it down to it being a cold day. Both EFI and Jade Developments were an absolute pleasure and I can't recommend them enough! Hopefully manage to take some decent pics soon

Sounds good! I recently installed a K-Tec induction kit and the difference in the sound of the engine is ridiculous.

Did you have any problems with emissions when changing to the K-TEC manifold and the akrapovic exhaust? I've read it's near enough impossible to pass an MOT if you change the manifold with an akra.

Sounds good! I recently installed a K-Tec induction kit and the difference in the sound of the engine is ridiculous.

Did you have any problems with emissions when changing to the K-TEC manifold and the akrapovic exhaust? I've read it's near enough impossible to pass an MOT if you change the manifold with an akra.

I know what you mean, the first time I heard it surprised me! Great sound.

The manifold only got installed about a month ago and I’m pretty sure my MOT is October so I’ll have to get back to you on that! KTEC, Jade Developments and EFI didn’t say anything but they might have just presumed I already knew that seems I’ll have a surprise either way come MOT time

I haven't done it myself so don't quote me on this! but judging by what some others have said on these forums, if you're installing a full akra system you need to keep the stock manifold or weld in a cat somewhere in the exhaust system to pass an MOT. I'm sure someone else knows more about this than me but that's what I've read.

But yes please keep us updated!

I haven't done it myself so don't quote me on this! but judging by what some others have said on these forums, if you're installing a full akra system you need to keep the stock manifold or weld in a cat somewhere in the exhaust system to pass an MOT. I'm sure someone else knows more about this than me but that's what I've read.

But yes please keep us updated!

I’ve just looked and my MOT is December so a bit longer but I’ll definitely let you know. I’ll have a read about the topic tonight, cheers for the heads up though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can sort this the Akra has a slip on system basically a back box that has the clamp that takes from a standard system to the Akra box, Also I have used a Miltek middle pipe along with the Akra back box the size of pipe is close but needs a step up clamp the Miltek is 2.5" external dia. the Akra is a 2.5" internal dia.. Now after all that I was able to buy the Akra Evo mid pipe to make it a full system as the back box is the same part for both just a straight clamp instead of a stepped one. As for emissions my car has passed MOT with just the manifold CAT installed, so if you have the original mid section keep it for MOT time you need to keep 50mm extra from the factory cutting point to properly match the Akra back box. I would never cut the Akra system for any reason better to get or keep a mid pipe with CAT for MOT and selling on to people who don't like the noise end of things.
1601313478333.png
1601313617211.png
1601313644208.png
1601313723052.png

Attachments

• 1601313513024.png
    1601313513024.png
    144.7 KB · Views: 12
I can sort this the Akra has a slip on system basically a back box that has the clamp that takes from a standard system to the Akra box, Also I have used a Miltek middle pipe along with the Akra back box the size of pipe is close but needs a step up clamp the Miltek is 2.5" external dia. the Akra is a 2.5" internal dia.. Now after all that I was able to buy the Akra Evo mid pipe to make it a full system as the back box is the same part for both just a straight clamp instead of a stepped one. As for emissions my car has passed MOT with just the manifold CAT installed, so if you have the original mid section keep it for MOT time you need to keep 50mm extra from the factory cutting point to properly match the Akra back box. I would never cut the Akra system for any reason better to get or keep a mid pipe with CAT for MOT and selling on to people who don't like the noise end of things.
View attachment 142092
View attachment 142094
View attachment 142095
View attachment 142096

I’m not 100% sure but I think the KTEC manifold gets rid of the normal pre-cat on the stock one. Also after storing the stock exhaust in the garage for about 2 years I scrapped it (it’d broken anyway) about 3 weeks ago! I might have to get a midpipe like you mentioned. Cheers for the info btw!

I’m not 100% sure but I think the KTEC manifold gets rid of the normal pre-cat on the stock one. Also after storing the stock exhaust in the garage for about 2 years I scrapped it (it’d broken anyway) about 3 weeks ago! I might have to get a midpipe like you mentioned. Cheers for the info btw!

Yes it does, then the full Akra system then gets of the 2nd cat, so you then will be running the risk of not passing emissions, that's basically what was said in that thread.

Yes it does, then the full Akra system then gets of the 2nd cat, so you then will be running the risk of not passing emissions, that's basically what was said in that thread.

Right I’ve got you. So you’re thinking/knowing that come MOT time it’ll most likely fail on emissions?

Right I’ve got you. So you’re thinking/knowing that come MOT time it’ll most likely fail on emissions?

I've never ran with no cats, my R27 had a Toyo manifold, second cat and then a Milltek and passed fine, my current one is OEM (with a refurbed standard manifold), but running zero cats has caused others to fail.

The thread is someone who has an Akra with a blowing standard manifold whether he should go Ktec manifold, he didn't realise the Akra removes the second cat, as other aftermarket exhausts are "catback" as in they only change from the second cat back, so they pass emissions.

I've never ran with no cats, my R27 had a Toyo manifold, second cat and then a Milltek and passed fine, my current one is OEM (with a refurbed standard manifold), but running zero cats has caused others to fail.

The thread is someone who has an Akra with a blowing standard manifold whether he should go Ktec manifold, he didn't realise the Akra removes the second cat, as other aftermarket exhausts are "catback" as in they only change from the second cat back, so they pass emissions.

I’m gonna have to wait and see. I did see someone on YouTube have an akra and KTEC manifold round the ring. Whether that was a track car only I’m not sure so I’ll try and ask him.

I’ll also give Sean at Jade Developments a bell and ask what his experience is, if he’s had any with the same setup. Cheers for the info though, i knew it wasn’t running any cats but didn’t realise (not sure why) that emissions might fail

Yeah fair enough, good luck, you might get super lucky and it might be fine, but every track car I've had with no cats, I had to swap it over for MOT, not a biggie on my 200sx or E36 as they were bolt on, you just don't have anywhere that will accept a cat without having a custom exhaust place put a removable section in.

Good luck, report back in here / that other thread, as it will help others out in future.

Yeah fair enough, good luck, you might get super lucky and it might be fine, but every track car I've had with no cats, I had to swap it over for MOT, not a biggie on my 200sx or E36 as they were bolt on, you just don't have anywhere that will accept a cat without having a custom exhaust place put a removable section in.

Good luck, report back in here / that other thread, as it will help others out in future.

giphy.gif
cheers man!

• Haha
Reactions: suj