And everyone says they're thristy...

DS197

POTM Winner - June 2017
Paid Member
So on a recent trip, I thought i'd go into eco mode to see what sort of mpg I could squeeze out of the Clio. I managed an indicated 43.4 mpg but had to stop at the services and couldn't be bothered sitting at 50 mph and pissing off lorry drivers anymore. Still got a decent figure at the end :thumbup:

F8363772-67A8-4F7D-9720-E31BA9BE7FFD_zpshb1knjrt.gif

However on the way back I stayed at 70 and got 33 mpg. Not bad, but it defintely beats the 18 mpg I get around town! :thumbdown:

Ha, I agree, less of the MPG shaming. I got this after a journey to Alton Towers a little while ago.

attachment.php

I drove to the south of Spain and back in my 197 last July. I did just over 3300 miles with a fully loaded car and not driving particularly carefully on the winding roads I ended up with this. Pretty pleased with it.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Luke

Attachments

• IMG_0983.jpg
    IMG_0983.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 229
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 234
  • FullSizeRender(1).jpg
    FullSizeRender(1).jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 235
never saw anything with a 4 in front with mine!

most was about 36-38 and to & from work 33 ish! for the power they are very poor!!!

I get 28-30 from a 325 hp car now ;/

I get 28-30mpg at the best lol...( no ac ,20degree out)
On cruise control on 110 6th gear an highways...42 what are you driving like.. Make no sense

never saw anything with a 4 in front with mine!

most was about 36-38 and to & from work 33 ish! for the power they are very poor!!!

I get 28-30 from a 325 hp car now ;/

I definitely agree with you there! The mpg around town is not good at all for the performance. It's only on the motorway where it's not as bad as it's made out to be.

Wow 42!! Hows your driving style like?

Haha it was a very slow driving style! I was sitting on the highway at 80 kph though which is why it was so good.

After a 4 mile drive home from the petrol station today, with loads of traffic, this is what the read out was :rain:

986E8A6E-0E0A-4AF5-B96B-F7FD02863D08_zps1ckeozqj.gif

Wow I don't think I've seen MPG starting with a 4 before haha! Nice! I can live with a mid-30's cruising between 65-70

Not sure I could sit at 50 on the motorway though, like you say - too many lorries coming past.

I'm rocking something like 28.8 over 7000 miles although my commute back and fourth to work is only 5 miles each way which drags it down.

I definitely agree with you there! The mpg around town is not good at all for the performance. It's only on the motorway where it's not as bad as it's made out to be.

Haha it was a very slow driving style! I was sitting on the highway at 80 kph though which is why it was so good.

After a 4 mile drive home from the petrol station today, with loads of traffic, this is what the read out was :rain:

986E8A6E-0E0A-4AF5-B96B-F7FD02863D08_zps1ckeozqj.gif
Lol 80kph??!!!? Haha
On what gear btw?

Wow I don't think I've seen MPG starting with a 4 before haha! Nice! I can live with a mid-30's cruising between 65-70

Not sure I could sit at 50 on the motorway though, like you say - too many lorries coming past.

I'm rocking something like 28.8 over 7000 miles although my commute back and fourth to work is only 5 miles each way which drags it down.

It was definitely a one time thing haha, never again! :smiley: Got a few beeps from some lorry drivers but it was the only way to keep myself entertained. 28.8 is not that bad at all imo. What sort of roads does your commute consist of?

Lol 80kph??!!!? Haha
On what gear btw?

Yes, it's true :smiley: I left it in sixth gear the whole journey. Although slipstreaming lorries at 100 kph gave the same mpg but it wasn't very safe.

Most of the highway was smooth and I was using minimal throttle so I reckon it was ok. Obviously on the uphill sections I would shift down as I wouldn't want to be using a lot of throttle in 6th gear as it was in my flatspot range.

It was definitely a one time thing haha, never again! :smiley: Got a few beeps from some lorry drivers but it was the only way to keep myself entertained. 28.8 is not that bad at all imo. What sort of roads does your commute consist of?

30-40mph A-Road, some stop start but not too bad. Commute works out to about 24mpg then it's the longer weekend trips etc than bring the average back up :smile:

Its not that healthy being on high gear on low revs( i think) especially on our cars that loooovveees revs

It likes to rev when you're putting your foot down.... but for cruising, surely the lower the RPM the better the MPG - generally speaking?

I'm quite happy to sit in 6th doing anything over 40mph...

30-40mph A-Road, some stop start but not too bad. Commute works out to about 24mpg then it's the longer weekend trips etc than bring the average back up :smile:

It likes to rev when you're putting your foot down.... but for cruising, surely the lower the RPM the better the MPG - generally speaking?

I'm quite happy to sit in 6th doing anything over 40mph...
The lower the rpm the better mpg? No.. Not realy ,not in all cases .

The lower the rpm the better mpg? No.. Not realy ,not in all cases .

If you try to accelerate from say 30mph in 6th, yes it'll use more fuel as the engine is laboring/struggling/stopping itself stalling - but a constant cruising speed, say 40mph in 6th at 2K rpm, is going to use less fuel than 40mph in 5th at 2.5K rpm, no?

Not sure. Not mustly
From my experience i had cases that i drove on 6th for example on 2500 and on 3400 and wasnt any change and if was the 3400 was abit better [emoji1]
But its up to the engine ,roads etc..

Last edited:
I live in Wiltshire and I get 32mpg driving nicely.

I usually get 28 driving normally which is a mix between thrashing and cruising. Not many stop starts around here.

Similar Thread Suggestions