Advice needed please

Lovell

Paid Member
Hi all,

i have been looking for a new car for a while and have now seen what i believe may be the one for me, its a 2007 clio 197 in black, just wondered if theres anything in-particular i should look out for on the car (i believe the cam belt is due a change due to the age but am not 100% sure) any guidance or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks James

Hi, welcome to the forum. Have a read through the Buyers Guide here this is full of information about the 197 and will give you some pointers with regards what to look for :smile:

The cambelt should have been done at either 72k miles, or 5 years old - therefore the one you've seen should have been done based purely on it's age. Check that this has been done and make sure there is paperwork to prove it. Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

hi chaps thanks for the reply. just wondered your views on pricing the car is pretty kitted out with the two key cards, full service history (but hasn't had the cam belt changed as mentioned above) car is currently saying service due, which they will include in the price. the company selling the car said they will put 12 months mot on it, and rectify any issues (it needs two new tyres) they are going to have the body work cleared up, nothing major just a couple of car park dinks and a little chip on the rear arch. The alloys could do with a refurb but that just me being picky, sounds good and strong 33000 on the clock 57 plate in black and theyre after 6250. thanks for your help

Your looking at £500+ to do the cambelt, so factor that into your budget.

its got low mileage on it hence the price. You can can probaly get one with a belt done for cheaper than that.

I would say that the price is a little high for a 197, even with the low mileage. As Chris says, you will have to spend a fair chunk of money to get the belts done...

Doesn't sound too far off on the price tbh if it's genuinely mint. See if you can negotiate it to just under £6k

I paid just over 6 (2.5 of it was trade in) for my 2008 54K 197 about 3 months ago. It was definitely the upper end of the market price wise, but the condition, FSH, Cambelt Done, and matching ContiSport 5's all round sold it to me to honest. Most of the others I had looked at around the £5K mark were dogs and needed over 1K spent to get them close to the condition the one I ended up buying was in.

thanks again for the help, think im going to give them a call in the morning and see if i can get them to move on price based on what i now know.

Yep mine was 5k and Ive had a cambelt kit and manifold replaced so you want a good car for around £6k. Defo not one needing cambelt doing.

Cambelt is actually about 2 years over due. I wouldn't buy black but that's me.

What options has it got on it? Cup chassis? Climate control? Recaros? Aero kit?

Got a link to an online ad?

Seriously over priced. Has none of the good options on the car.

I probably wouldn't pay more than 5500 for that, regardless of mileage. Clearly doesn't have a FSH if the cambelt hasn't been done anyway.