Adding Amp to factory HU?

Will it make any difference to the sound if I add an amp and some decent speakers to me factory head unit?

Not too keen on changing the head unit as i want to keep all the features of the tunepoint system and my stalk controls etc.

Any advice will be welcome cheers

You can add an amp using the high level inputs from the speaker connection block, some amps have a built in high level input, others would need a high level - low level convertor.

Sorry fella but that's gone right over my head as i know nothing about car audio.

So is it possible and would it make the sound much better?

high level is your speaker wires, low level is your white/red rca cables that come on most after market HU/amp. some amps have the ability to use the speaker cables as an input to the amp, or you cane get a low level converter that wire to you speaker cables and converts them to the white red rca cable that then plugs into the amp, then all you need then is power to the amp and sub.

Posh car stereo has low level outputs, these are typically RCA/Phone connections which plug directly into the amp. Your stereo doesn't have any outputs except for the speakers, which are known as high level outputs.

Does anyone know of any amp & speaker combination that will work well with the factory fitted head unit?

To get the best out of a factory headunit, I would look at a unit called REQ-3 or 5. This is tweakable and compensates for the bass roll-off that factory units have to protect the paper speakers at higher volumes. This unit also gives you the amp remote out wire to turn the amp on when the headunit comes on. see here: http://www.incarmusic.co.uk/product...ration-Volume-Sensing-Bass-Restoration-Device Cheap convertors can introduce a lot of interference issues.

Some amps will take high level (speaker wire) input from the factory unit, but the sound quality will not be as good as using low level rca's.

To be honest, unless you are dead set on keeping the factory unit, I would get a decent aftermarket unit. This will produce a better sound and have the rca (low level) outputs to feed an amp if required. A decent ipod control headunit beats the hell out of the tunepoint system (ive had both!) and the steering wheel controls can be retained with the right adaptor (I have done this as I use my steering controls all the time!)

To get recommendations on amps / speakers, you really need to give a budget, as you can spend £50 up to, well lots! lol

Last edited:
I think I will change the head unit as well.

Which components will work best budget of say around £700.

Forgot to say need something that will still allow me to play music through my iPhone 4, let me still let me make and recieve calls and also would still like to be able to use the stalk controls.

Alpine IDA-X305, plus stalk and display adapter, depending on how much you really want to spend you could then get an underseat sub and better front component speakers.

I have the Ida-x100 which is similar to the above with the stalk & display adaptor. This lead is by alpine, and allows both steering controls and the central upper display to show track names etc.

With your budget I would be tempted to go for a second hand unit off eBay. Then get a good 3-4 ch amp, such as genesis, DLS, kicker etc. Then look at a good set of 13cm components for the front such as DLS, CDT, focal, rainbow etc.

This should then leave enough for a small sheet of sound deadening, an amp wiring kit etc.

It's your choice in what type of sub you get. I will be using a 10" in a small box in the boot, some people use a smaller under seat type. Just depends on your practicality requirements and your music preference.

What kind of music do you mainly listen to?

iDA-X305s with KCE-400BT bluetooth is £339.98

Which other components will I need part numbers will be greatly appreciated.

Yes, do a search in this section, and you will find the model number. It's about £80 odd though. Mine didn't do the display, but thinknit might be a faulty lead. These headunits are compatible with the lead.

You will also need a facia adaptor from eBay. The megane one will fit. Then it's choosing which speakers / amp / sub you want.

Right fellas going with ida-x305s with kce-400bt bluetooth and apf-d102re stalk and display adaptor.

Can anyone recomend good speaker replacements that will fit without any mods?

I will probably add a small amp and small sub at a later date.

I've not seen a kce-450bt has it been released or is it getting released soon?

I will wait if there is something newer out soon