888's compared to other track tyre's for road use

MikeLYR27

Supercharged Platinum Member
Platinum Member
How do people find them on the roads? Im wondering if i went for some federal rsr's they might be better! Love my 888's on track there is loads of grip, but on the road not so much. You cant get the same heat into them, and nor do i want to try and get the same levels on the road. I only use the car for fun and in the dry.

What are people's experiences with 888's on the road compared to others?

Any recommendations, yoko ad08's, federals etc? :smile:

They're fine in the dry and ok in the wet, but feel nervous on freshly wet or still being rained on roads. Standing water is something to avoid at all costs.

I'd recommend AD08s though, I found they helped the car track straighter and provided much more grip than contis. They also stood up quite well in the wet, even in snowy conditions they were no worse than any other road tyre I've experienced.

Still they don't compare to 888s, only problem is you'll get into the habit of not braking and taking all corners and roundabouts at full road speed, I mean I don;t do that of course but I hear some people do :innocent:

595's ftw

Flag out

We agree!

The rsr's are so easy to judge in the wet and dry when you are losing grip, and it doesn't go all at once, even when cold they are very easy to predict

Ive had 888,s on the road and didnt like them they were terrible in the damp mind you youd have to have deep pockets to run 888,s as an everyday tyre yoko ao48,s id rate well as a track tyre and road had them on my cars in the past the federals are supposed to be good theres a couple of people on various forums atm banging on about syrons apparently theyre german but not much info on them atm

Nice one boys, great info, pretty much what I thought. 888's are a bit to much for the road I think, just can't get the heat in!! Think I'm gonna get a set of 595's! Where's the best/cheapest to get them? Any recommendations?

Think Henderson posted a link up on a previous tyre thread that were very reasonable other than that camskill ain't bad

Be wary of the Federal RSR tyres. Heard a few horror stories about the tread coming away from the carcass. A post about it on meganesport :

http://www.meganesport.net/community/showthread.php?57606-Federal-RSR-s-falling-apart!!

Remembering mike is asking about these as a road going tyre, the most powerful r26r in Europe runs the federals and hasn't had any problems when the 888s got torn apart very quickly on the same car, I would probably use the kumhos over either if the car was purely for track, I suppose it's only the same as comparing tyres v drivers v use in f1...

I think bmtr still doing those at same price as the link i phoned last week and they were that price think ill try them next