6000 rpm metallic rattle / vibration

I've noticed a rattle which sounds like its comin from the engine bay (or at least in front of me somewhere) which only happens at 6000rpm.

Its hard to describe but sounds kind of metal on metal tinny sort of vibration its as if something begins to rattle at 6000rpm.

I've tried holding / pressing most of the trim panels whilst sitting at 6k rpm in second but havent managed to locate it yet.

I've grabbed, pushed and pulled bits under the bonnet but nothing seems loose.

(the sound reminds me of a heatsheild rattling on the exhaust but the sound seems too far forward to be that)

It's making me change early now coz it sounds like i'm hurting it. :@!

Has anyone else had this - is it just the engine sound of these?

A stock "fault" - it's an exhaust. It can't be fixed.

The sound is in the front, and if you listen carefully you can hear it in the back too.

lol -just another "feature" then?! I may have a hunt round to see if I can find the exact source and tie down / move whichever bit is rattling.

mitch

check this top engine mount it has a metal cover/sleeve protecting a rubber bush

i had a sound like you describe and found this sleeve was loose so at certain rev's it made a horrid noise!

had it replaced under warranty has been fine ever since

HPIM2322-1.jpg

neil

mitch

check this top engine mount it has a metal cover/sleeve protecting a rubber bush

i had a sound like you describe and found this sleeve was loose so at certain rev's it made a horrid noise!

HPIM2322-1.jpg

neil

That top engine mount is the guilty one only if you have a "tup-tup" noise, but rattling noise like a vibration/resonance is the exhaust on the diffusor's heatshield.

EDIT: I had 2 of those changed.

cheers guys! - I'll get my head under the bonnet later with my girlfriends foot on the throttle and check the mount out too.

mitch

HPIM2322-1.jpg

neil

like what neil said. had this on mine and it was the cover on the engine mount, had mine replaced under warranty aswel

also check the positioning of the heatshield over the starter motor - rear of engine passenger side under the exhaust manifold

hmm still not sure - :S

I had my head under the bonnet at a m/way services this morn and got my gf to keep the throttle at 6k. I couldn't really hear the noise under the bonnet whilst prodding / leaning on the engine mount but she could hear it still inside and said nothing i did under the bonnet made a difference.

had to move on before i could check the starter motor shield but now im pretty sure its comin from the drivers side.?

yep - on the metal covering the rubber from the car (to the left side of the red box in withoutabix's pic) and the metal bit on the engine (on the right side of red box). I think a trip to the dealer is needed..

got the same issue since new, the dealer says it's normal :-S

the rattle starts only after the engine is warm and is very pronounced at 6-7,000rpm when shifting gears

strangely when I raised the car on the lift at the dealer and changed gears there was no rattle...

I got used to it now but I would love to get rid of it :smile: