4th gear crunch

I suppose the new gearbox they'd fit would have the same weaknesses. I reckon I'm gonna try and find a second hand box and have the internals made "properly" for when my replacement box eventually fails.

Agree with that,i should imagine a properly hand rebuilt box would be more sturdy than a mass produced effort .

Do the syncros only come from one company or are are there better ones available?

Mines not crunching but this morning it started squeeking all of a sudden. Squeeks a tiny bit in 2nd and then a bit louder in 4th and nothing in 6th. Praying its not gear box problem :worried:

Not sure if anyone's in the South Yorkshire area, but if so I just had 4th gear (and 3rd) repaired on my 2007 197 F1 by www.ddconline.co.uk / 01302 340 300 (ask for Richard). I would highly recommend them!

Cost about £1000 inc VAT, which included synchro for 3rd and 4th, new 4th gear as there was some slight damage, new clutch, slave cylinder (as the rubber boot had perished on mine) and elf 75-80 oil.... A lot cheaper than some of the other quotes I'd received and way cheaper than Renaults £2300 for a new box.

Nice that they had a pile of old parts for me to inspect when I got there and they took the time to explain why each part was replaced. In addition they insisted that I take it for a test drive before I paid... can't recommend them enough.

Must admit my 172 crunches 1st to 2nd and 3rd and 4th and 5th lol don't care gonna blow the car up this year , hopefully while on track lol !! In front of a gt3 or something else expensive !! I'm taking by these comments , that the new Clio has a gearbox weakness ?? Or maybe even fault ?

Must admit my 172 crunches 1st to 2nd and 3rd and 4th and 5th lol don't care gonna blow the car up this year , hopefully while on track lol !! In front of a gt3 or something else expensive !! I'm taking by these comments , that the new Clio has a gearbox weakness ?? Or maybe even fault ?

Haha not according to renault :wink:

I'm taking by these comments , that the new Clio has a gearbox weakness ?? Or maybe even fault ?

I'm not sure if the 172 and 197 boxes are the same, but the mechanic said that on my box 1,2, 5 and 6 gears use a brass synchro ring, however, both 3rd and 4th are mild steel with a friction material bonded in the centre. As a result it seems that 3rd and 4th are more susceptible to wear and needed replacing (at 58K miles for me).

I'm not sure if the 172 and 197 boxes are the same, but the mechanic said that on my box 1,2, 5 and 6 gears use a brass synchro ring, however, both 3rd and 4th are mild steel with a friction material bonded in the centre. As a result it seems that 3rd and 4th are more susceptible to wear and needed replacing (at 58K miles for me).

I don't think they fit