215 and 225

Just picked up 2 michelin primacy hp up but they are 225/45/17, I have contis to put on the front but these are 215/45/17 is there any problems with having the two different sizes on the car?

Ok so my car isn't going to spontaisly combust if I have to different tyre sizes on lol, I tried to get two tyres changed in the Uk when I was back last Saturday but the garage said they wouldn't mix winter and summer tyres, I had the other two tyres in Germany to fit but they were not having it

thats because audi only understeer :blink:

Lol, funny thing is you are right. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in the RS3 technical meeting.

Test driver: "fantastic car, bullet quick but when I get to a corner it.......... Understeers like an Austin Allegro and wants to drive through the armco"

Technical Director: "We need to fix this, Audi's reputation is built on a firm foundation of technical excellence, expanding the envelope and innovative thinking, we have the finest automotive technical minds in the world.. Who has a solution?"

Boffin: "lets put wider tyres on the front"

Technical Director: "Done"

Last edited:
Lol, funny thing is you are right. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in the RS3 technical meeting.

Test driver: "fantastic car, bullet quick but when I get to a corner it.......... Understeers like an Austin Allegro and wants to drive through the armco"

Technical Director: "We need to fix this, Audi's reputation is built on a firm foundation of technical excellence, expanding the envelope and innovative thinking, we have the finest automotive technical minds in the world.. Who has a solution?"

Boffin: "lets put wider tyres on the front and give it more power"

Technical Director: "Done"

Nearly right :thumbsup:

Will be fine mate, i would put the 215's on the front and the 225's on the rear.
I ran mine for 6 months like that.
I was warned it could affect the T/C and ABS but mine was ok.
now got 225's all round :smile:

The MOT guidelines only state that they have to be the same size on the same axel, so both fronts the same both rears the same etc.

not sure why my thread was closed and i was pointed here when this thread hasn't answered my question. I asked i you can run 225's on a 197, i recall someone telling me that they rub and i don't want to fit them if this is the case.

Can someone clarify this for me?

the differences between 215/45 R17 and 225/45 R17

tyre tread is 225mm, meaning 10mm more than 215 - good on trackday
tyre flank/wall is 101.2mm, meaning 4.4mm higher than 215 -
diameter 634.3mm, meaning 8.8mm more than 215
when your seepo shows 100km/h the exact speed is 98.6 km/h

Renault might have a good reason to choose 215, but as 225 is more common, therefore cheaper than 215

the size diff is nearly immaterial, there is plenty of room when cornering, so no worries