200 v Golf R

200 V Golf R
On paper the Golf should walk it in real life it’s a different story

I have the pleasure to the use of the new Golf R whenever I want so I have been driving it for the last 3 days.

Got back in the 200 today thinking this is going to feel rubbish but no it feels better.

Slower maybe off the line but when the Clio is in the flow it’s like puppy off its lead

I’m a massive dub fan always had one for the last 6 years R32’s Gti etc but I have been bitten by French clutter in a big way...

When the 200 is on sing it’s a tool that deservers massive respect

40k worth of Golf (every toy you can think of) v 17k Clio money aside I would take the 200:jase:

Last edited:
Interesting, I had a scirrocco R overtake me yesterday, looked quite fast. Would have had a play but his driving was plain dangerous and no way I was going to endanger other drivers like he was!

U do get some idiots out there. Golf R is 260 hp standard it murders the 200 in a straight line but again even with active suspension u wud keep with it in the bends unless it was wet then his 4 motion wud piss on ure chips

Interesting, I had a scirrocco R overtake me yesterday, looked quite fast. Would have had a play but his driving was plain dangerous and no way I was going to endanger other drivers like he was!

The golf isn't a slow car dont get me wrong

The Clio stops better, feels more fun and carrys more speed

U do get some idiots out there. Golf R is 260 hp standard it murders the 200 in a straight line but again even with active suspension u wud keep with it in the bends unless it was wet then his 4 motion wud piss on ure chips

I'm compairing from driving on dry twisty roads

The R is 270 ish the 4 Motion is poney imo its not a true 4wd same as the R32

Anyway its just my thoughts as i have the use of both cars whenever :smile:

4 motion is like Audi quatro technology normal driving it's a 90 - 10 split but when ure giving it the full lead boot it's adjusting to what it needs.

Poor version of 4wd lol it's second to the pro drive system.......lemans ????

4 motion is like Audi quatro technology normal driving it's a 90 - 10 split but when ure giving it the full lead boot it's adjusting to what it needs.

Haldex controled 4wd its mainly driving from the front most of time and is normally slow on the up take to use the rear wheels most of the time ending in understeer on turn in.

I would imagine the Golf is a very heavy car.

But I am surprised you did not think it was that fast, on paper the golf is:

350 Nm / 258 ft lbs @ 2500 rpm and 136 bhp / liter

where as the Clio is:

215 Nm / 159 ft lbs @ 5550 rpm and 99 bhp / liter.

But the they are totally different cars.

I thought the 4 motion could send upto 100% torque to the rear wheels, not like the old systems that would only send about 20% to the rear

I thought the 4 motion could send upto 100% torque to the rear wheels, not like the old systems that would only send about 20% to the rear

This would require a Haldex controller i had one fitted on our APS R300 R32 and it would only give 90% rear

Limited slip diffs are mechanical and distribute torque evenly. The R has something very clever called an electronic locking diff that senses wheel slip and distributes torque to other wheels paired with a dsg it's guns lap 3 seconds faster than a clio

Limited slip diffs are mechanical and distribute torque evenly. The R has something very clever called an electronic locking diff that senses wheel slip and distributes torque to other wheels paired with a dsg it's guns lap 3 seconds faster than a clio

I'm not slagging the Golf off at all it partly my company that own this one

All I'm saying on a day to day drive on good roads the Clio feels more fun

We are always playing around with hot ish mid priced cars for a laugh and I highly rate the 200

our last couple of cars where 330s scoob, Mountune St, Focus Rs for a cheap car the you have to go a long way to match the Clio IMO.