197's / 200's - high state of tune ?

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Paid Member
It's well known that getting more power in n/a mode isn't cheap for MK3's.....

Although I'm into bikes: I'm not into Hyper sport motorbikes: I saw yesterday Suzuki released the 2017 GSXR1000-R.

So: 1 litre - 199bhp and 84LB-FT Torque. Which is completely normal for these hyper sports.

Still think our cars are highly tuned ?

Thoughts....

Yep, I absolutely still think they're highly tuned!

What other naturally aspirated cars make 100bhp per litre? There aren't many, especially at the price point of the Clio.

In fact, when the 197 first came out it was even more impressive. It put it in a similar ballpark to things like a Gallardo V10, 911 GT3, Ferrari 360, my M3...

:smiley:

That said, 200bhp at 14,000+rpm from a 1 litre is bloody awesome. Just need to strap two of those together to get up to our two litres and then it would be a good alternative to a Meg conversion...

:wink:

Bikes only make 80-90ft/lbs torque compared to 158ft/lbs of the Clio. Torque is the rotational force, horse power is how quick it's achieved. Plus there's no radio air con big seats etc. So they can spend more money on the engine.

Reactions: DS197
Bikes only make 80-90ft/lbs torque compared to 158ft/lbs of the Clio. Torque is the rotational force, horse power is how quick it's achieved. Plus there's no radio air con big seats etc. So they can spend more money on the engine.

But it's same torque per litre with the bike having double the BHP per litre.

So whilst no trade off in terms of torque, the BHP increase for the bike per litre is absolutely mammoth.......

Reactions: Robert_197
But it's same torque per litre with the bike having double the BHP per litre.

So whilst no trade off in terms of torque, the BHP increase for the bike per litre is absolutely mammoth.......

Plus there is bugger all weight for it to pull along.

I bet it's mind blowing.

Not a biker but impressed by those figures.

It's all to do with how far they Rev but I have no more than that...:flushed:

Not a biker but impressed by those figures.

It's all to do with how far they Rev but I have no more than that...:flushed:
Your on to something there. Higher revs=more power strokes. And bikes generally rev a lot higher as they have a shorter stroke and bigger bore. Which begs the question: Why?

Reactions: sevenfourate
What 0-60 would this thing get? like 3 seconds or something?:think:

Traction would be the issue to that: but yes.....approx.

From my experience of older 1 litre bikes - I imagine it would wheelie off the throttle (And a bit of a yank in the bars) at speeds exceeding our max velocity !

Mind numbing.

Reactions: Dystant
I've had quite a few bikes and liter ones among them, bikes are getting faster in a strange way, they are raving higher and making their power higher up the range which I found was not as much fun for me on the road, you have to be at far higher speed to get the drive that you got a bit lower down on the older 1 liter bikes, my r1 was quite frightening to drive because of the way the power was delivered and the gearing used, the newer stuff I find personally are a more focused track weapons and that's the only place your ever going to be able to use all that power properly in the second half of the Rev range

I know a lot of people post up vids of bikes being beat by cars and vice versa but bikes do have a problem putting the power down safely and then there is the skill in riding them fast on a twisty road, it really is a skill, driving a car hard is easier than driving a bike hard on a winding road, even a straightish one at that, it takes balls to be holding on to a set of bars and seeing just short of 200 I can assure you, you have all prob seen the clips of the top gear ones concentrating hard when at those speeds and they are in supercars

Last edited:
I know very little about bikes but would still say the clios engine is highly tuned, one of the reasons it's so expensive to get more power out of it is because it's so near the max you can get from it without bolting on a turbo etc. As Mes has said, how many other n/a cars (like the Clio) achieve this?

Also I think the bike is still impressively tuned but maybe the increase in rev range helps, these things scream along, and maybe with it having virtually no weight to pull, perhaps the engine operates differently, as to what tofty has said, and maybe it's not as strong as a car engine needs to be to tug along that weight, but this is all just theoretical as I know virtually nothing about them lol

Similar Thread Suggestions