197 Red 2006 Track Only Project

Seat tubes fit across and are welded in. Standard system. I've just drawn mine and had then laser cut. Used t45 tube and my ill update my thread this weekend when I fit them. My side mounts fit to the tube instead of bolting them so they are fixed position but thats what I wanted. Plus I will pass any scrutineering should I want to enter an event.

Reactions: A1axx
Seat tubes fit across and are welded in. Standard system. I've just drawn mine and had then laser cut. Used t45 tube and my ill update my thread this weekend when I fit them. My side mounts fit to the tube instead of bolting them so they are fixed position but thats what I wanted. Plus I will pass any scrutineering should I want to enter an event.
Yeah, I think I know what you mean. We did start with 25mm box section which was going to be welded from the sill to the transmission tunnel, but this is a temporary measure (i.e. bolted rather than welded). I appreciate this solution would never pass any scrutineering but fine for track days. Be good to see some pics when you are done.

If its temp I'll send you some info I can draw anything you need so if there's height adjustment that's not available can custom make anything to suit

Just seemed a shame all that effort loosing weight to put it back in with some box but glad it's temp
I thought that, but surprised as it wasn't that heavy. Of course, there are lighter alternatives, but also not too bad as they are obviously placed relatively low.

Today's progress - all aircon pipework had already been removed a few weeks ago, so decided to remove pump and gut it. An hour later I ended up with

6TNfzH.jpg

Have since been informed the 172/182 crank pulley and 4PK810SF belt can be run to completely remove the aircon pump and tensioner, so might give that a go in a few weeks/months - for now this will do.

Dropped the subframe as I'm picking up some cup struts tomorrow, and mine look like they have been in for the full 11 years. Also plan to change the bushes whilst there for Powerflex Black.

338c3X.jpg

Manifold will also be removed as flexis are both on there way out and have purchased a new eBay manifold (will see how well it holds up).

87hSGr.jpg

Question - is it worth replacing the drop links and anti-rotation links (think that's what they are called)? They don't look damaged, but wondered if worth doing while the subframe was down?

Last edited:
Reactions: A1axx
Today's progress - all aircon pipework had already been removed a few weeks ago, so decided to remove pump and gut it. An hour later I ended up with

6TNfzH.jpg

Have since been informed the 172/182 crank pulley and 4PK810SF belt can be run to completely remove the aircon pump and tensioner, so might give that a go in a few weeks/months - for now this will do.

Dropped the subframe as I'm picking up some cup struts tomorrow, and mine look like they have been in for the full 11 years. Also plan to change the bushes whilst there for Powerflex Black.

338c3X.jpg

Manifold will also be removed as flexis are both on there way out and have purchased a new eBay manifold (will see how well it holds up).

87hSGr.jpg

Question - is it worth replacing the drop links and anti-rotation links (think that's what they are called)? They don't look damaged, but wondered if worth doing while the subframe was down?

Pretty easy to change if they wear out later.. I have some solid bushes getting made up if you want to replace? That is a job for sub down!

http://www.clio197.net/threads/gw-197-ex-michelin-road-cup-racer-track-car-sprints.53560/

New manifold installed today - so easy with the subframe removed. Ordering decat pipe tonight.

Cup suspension picked up, cleaned up, and front H&R springs fitted.

When I removed the radiator frame rail a few days ago I noticed it was rotten, and also not that light. I'm assuming the only job it has is to hold the radiator in place, so plan to replace it with some angled aluminium or angled steel. Has anyone done something similar and can I see pics?

Have ordered some 1mm gavled steel for the radiator bracket, angled to add strength, so will see how well that goes. There is no way the old radiator support frame is going back on!!!!

Separated the wishbones from the subframe tonight, and started removing the front and rear bushes. Seems the old ones are bonded in, or just very very reluctant to budge. Anyone else had issues removing them? I might resort to burning them out tomorrow, being careful not to damage the balljoint.

Have ordered some 1mm gavled steel for the radiator bracket, angled to add strength, so will see how well that goes. There is no way the old radiator support frame is going back on!!!!

Separated the wishbones from the subframe tonight, and started removing the front and rear bushes. Seems the old ones are bonded in, or just very very reluctant to budge. Anyone else had issues removing them? I might resort to burning them out tomorrow, being careful not to damage the balljoint.

322ee44dfc3fa63244b557643f1f2311.jpg

I cut the arms off mine..

See with the wishbones you should heat them up before pressing.

http://www.clio197.net/threads/gw-197-ex-michelin-road-cup-racer-track-car-sprints.53560/

My radiator frame is as rotten as a politician, so it's got to go. If it was in same condition as yours I would be doing the same with removing the arms, perhaps even a little more metal as it's not exactly supporting a huge weight.

Continued to remove the bushes today. The front ones came out fine as I could easily position them in the press. The rears ones would not fit easily in the press, and I've now managed to completely FUBAR one of my wishbones. Currently have a wanted ad up, so hopefully one will turn up soon.

How did you manage to get the rear bushes out? In the end, with the one remaining good wishbone, I resorted to burning the rubber out with a blow torch and getting the hacksaw out to remove the metal sleeves. Was a long and painful job.