197 Red 2006 Track Only Project

J90RDN

Paid Member
Quick intro. Not only a Clio virgin, but a French car virgin. Currently building a Tiger Avon (Caterham type kit car) as a pure track car, so the Clio is going to be a fast build and bad weather track car.

So a 56 reg 113k mile 197 purchased for the grand sum of £1600 a few weeks ago. On the face of it looks like a solid car. Unfortunately comes with a whole host of extras which just add weight and complexity (keyless entry and keyless go, auto wipers etc etc).
IMG-20170323-WA0004_zpsmovuhn4h.jpg
So it's now sat on a mates drive and he is busy ripping it to bits
IMG-20170411-WA0001_zpscp1geopg.jpg
IMG-20170415-WA0005_zpsbpurmn2p.jpg
Buckets and harnesses purchased
IMG-20170329-WA0008_zps6ydad3gx.jpg
IMG-20170329-WA0007_zpsmw55skhb.jpg

Parts ordered so far

Brembo high carbon front disks
PFC front pads from clio cup race car
Normal new rear disks and pads (EBC Ulitmax jobbies) - been told rear brakes don't do a lot on a Clio
BF Goodrich braids front & rear
Locking Aerocatches for boot
H&R 30mm lowering springs

Picked up a nice ex-race spec steering wheel boss, and added my D1 quick release boss to it
IMG-20170417-WA0003_zpsca4raatg.jpg

Have an old MOMO wheel to use while looking for a new wheel.

Reactions: nutnutwelshman
The keyless is great even on the track car! Just keep the key in a pocket, some security lol... big weight savings are fibre panels as the doors etc weigh a lot, however I'm just gutting out the metal from those panels and keeping glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, we'll be gutting the doors also, so would imagine won't weigh much more than the fibreglass panels by time we are finished. Will either keep glass or go perspex.

Very nice a race car or just a very nice track day car looks like a tidy Base to work from enjoy looking forward to seeing the finish article

Very nice a race car or just a very nice track day car looks like a tidy Base to work from enjoy looking forward to seeing the finish article
Cheers - just a track car for now. It's nice not having to worry about keeping things for road use, or complying with regulations for race use.

Reactions: nutnutwelshman
good luck with your build..looks interesting..as above pretty sure the keyless entry doesnt weigh that much...

These turned up today
IMG-20170419-WA0003_zpsthgukszp.jpg

Nankang AR-1's. Not tried them before. They are new, just been fitted to some rims but never used. Will be looking to put them on some Laguna alloys I'm waiting to pick up from Coventry. The car came on new Mohawk ditch finders, but tempted to see what they are like in the wet (have heard mixed reviews). They have got to be better than the AR1's in the wey. If they are rubbish then they will get replaced with Uniroyal Rainsport3's.

Reactions: suj and Pav
You track folk certainly differ to me when you talk about putting buckets in your car !

That is 'stripping' of epic proportions. Nothing half-arsed there :smile:

Look forward to your progress. ENJOY.
LOL, yeah, there appears to be 3 buckets in there. Didn't notice that ;-)
Cheers

Reactions: sevenfourate
Yea won't be a massive difference, for the price it's many times more cost effective just to remove metal. I have retrofitted manual winders, glass is handy I must say!

Yea I used the nankang ar1s for the first track day.. however the camber wasn't enough on my setup so I have changed the whole front end geo to add 2.5 degrees extra camber. Tyres are good for the money though

These turned up today
IMG-20170419-WA0003_zpsthgukszp.jpg

Nankang AR-1's. Not tried them before. They are new, just been fitted to some rims but never used. Will be looking to put them on some Laguna alloys I'm waiting to pick up from Coventry. The car came on new Mohawk ditch finders, but tempted to see what they are like in the wet (have heard mixed reviews). They have got to be better than the AR1's in the wey. If they are rubbish then they will get replaced with Uniroyal Rainsport3's.

Are they white by any chance? Lol
I nearly bought them, but wasn't near home at the time, then when I looked at my saved items, they sold :worried:

Great work, will be class, also link to your Tiger, guy at work has one and took me out, it was so much fun!

Are they white by any chance? Lol
I nearly bought them, but wasn't near home at the time, then when I looked at my saved items, they sold :worried:
Yep, they are the ones. Having read up on them yesterday I'm now worried they will be the wrong ones, M12 rather than M14.

Reactions: suj
Progress today in preparation for Wednesdays track day at Mallory. As I'm a short 4rse at 5ft9 the bucket seat on the floor meant I looked like
HZCLpT.jpg

Looked around for options but the only ones I could find cost from £70 upwards per side and didn't look like they would give me enough height. So went all heath robinson and got some 75x75x3mm box section.
C0tN7Q.jpg

Seats now sit at about the right height, and with a few holes drilled give quite a bit of forward and backward adjustment.
COFOGK.jpg

Chopping of loom tomorrow and dash back in, and final prep for Wednesday. Haven't turned a wheel in this car yet so Wednesday will be first drive and first drive of a Clio.!!

Reactions: Sean197
certainly looking track spec and that's cutting it close to the wire (loom) sorry no pun intended.. ill see you there

Reference the sabelt belts. Any chance you could measure the total length of a shoulder strap. I need some longer belts to get me from the roll cage bar to my final seating position, as I'm a short arse!

Reference the sabelt belts. Any chance you could measure the total length of a shoulder strap. I need some longer belts to get me from the roll cage bar to my final seating position, as I'm a short arse!

Yeah not a problem. When I'm next in the garage will measure.