197 Cup weekend collection.

F1team

Gold Member
Hey all, I joined up a few years back to look into the 197s and only just got round to getting another RenaultSport. I had a 182 Trophy a few years ago and although awesome, the Yozzasport exhaust that I had drove me mad and instead of swap it back I ended up changing cars.

I know the 197s getting on a bit now but I do think there great looking cars, after driving and looking at a number of 200s I found what I think is a cracking 197 cup and it's all set for collection next sat. Should make a great fun car, as the hope Is I won't need it for too many work miles.

Once it's picked up I'll be getting the belts done ASAP at Birchdowns, disks and pads are being done before I pick it up and then it'll need either lowering springs or suspension change to get it a little lower. (Eibach's or straight into bilstein's?)

Will get the scuttle removed and check those drainage holes out, any other immediate check points?

It had a new gearbox in 2013 from Renault which I think is a good point... Look forward to finding lots of tips and getting some photos up once it's nice and shiny, cheers. Mike.

welcome along..anything you will ever need can be found here..just ask..lots of very knowledgeable people on here..
there is a buyer's guide on here..check that.

Welcome mate!

You seem to know your stuff already! Eibachs are a good option for lowering but if you want to improve handling then coilovers are where its at. Id wait it out and see how you get on with the already excellent standard setup!

Immediate checkups id probaly say give the brakes a seeing too, however being as your having them done no need! Jut make sure you reguarlly get them cleaned and greased or they might give you trouble.

Did mine every 6 months but annually will probaly be ok. This advice came from the clio guru [MENTION=29]foxspeed[/MENTION] iirc

Cheers, the cup set-up felt great on the test drive I just don't like wheel gap. I ran KW V1 on my coopers S and koni suspension on a lupo gti which were cracking. I worry going on coilovers that I'll want it silly low, so might look out for a suspension kit set-up? Anywhere in cheshire recommended for suspension fit/set-up?

i'll keep an eye on the breaks cleanliness then, ta.

Cheers, the cup set-up felt great on the test drive I just don't like wheel gap. I ran KW V1 on my coopers S and koni suspension on a lupo gti which were cracking. I worry going on coilovers that I'll want it silly low, so might look out for a suspension kit set-up? Anywhere in cheshire recommended for suspension fit/set-up?

i'll keep an eye on the breaks cleanliness then, ta.

Well beauty of coilies is you can have them where you want. The arch gap disappears with h&r springs but they are quite harsh springs. Eibach are a good compromise but not as low, still have a small arch gap.

IMG_20150607_190320830_HDR_zpsf4ipgcob.jpg

Took a short while but eventually got a PIC up, got round to a clean and plate swap, this car needs a little attension to get up to the standard I want but we'll get there eventually, machine polish would be nice.

Trip to birchdowns this week for the belts etc done and sorted which went smoothly and drives great, although this highlighted that the engine fan isn't working which means another day in the garage for new parts, thankfully it's under warranty.

EDIT: turns out it was a loose fuse, easy and cost free fix! If any one has the same issue and needs a picture let me know!

Lovely car, will have to get on a few track days to enjoy it fully, the brakes are impressive!

Last edited: