197 cup or F1

Guys just registered here so please be gentle..:smile:I'm in the market for a 197 cup or f1 a bit confused as which to go for as a better drivers car that can cope with the odd track day..
I have had a few 911's in the past and just sold a 2010 Elise R which was great and sorely missed. However i'm looking for a interesting cheaper run about. between the 6 -8k mark. Does the F1 come with the cup chassis. and how can you tell if a regular 197 has the cup additions ?
I realise that the f1 was a limited model with the extra bits is that the one to go for ?

Did you phone up about the Nimbus 197 Cup that i was selling? He was an ex-Porsche/Lotus owner as well iirc.

Chassis wise, the R27 + Cup are the same.

All Cup's come with the longer ratio box as standard, some later R27's did i think.

Comes down to budget, personally, as long as it has Recaros the rest of the options arent really that important imho.

Afternoon fella-

The 197 Cup & the F1 comes with the Cup Chassis as Standard- THe red calipers are the giveaway- however as said they both have them as standard-

In terms of the 3-

A standard 197 has the keyless entry, Colour coded side strips, Spotlights & a few other ordinary bits-
The brake calipers are silver, the wheels are silver- it will have the standard seats-

On the older models (+ 07) the following options were available-
Recaros, Xenons, Climate Control, Cup Chassis, sunroof, Electric folding mirrors & a few other little bits-
Some other factory body parts could be added- Splitter, Sideskirts & cup spoiler

However not many BASE model 197's have these options-

IIRC the 197 cup was introduced on 57-
The cup looses the Keyless Entry, A/C, Spotlights & the colour coded side strips-

The base model does have the cup chassis & its the lighter version & the Wheels are colour coded Anthricite grey-

OPtions were
A/C, Recaros, Speedline wheels & of Course the above mentioned body extras-

The R27 Was available on 07- Limitied to 500 cars all numbered-

It comes with ALL the standard 197 base stuff PLUS
Recaros, Cup pack Chassis, Anthricite coloured wheels, F1 Decals.

Options on an R27 were Climate control, Xenon ( projector lights) & the extra body kit ( this is known as the aero kit), Electric heated folding mirrors.... & Plaque

Colours were- Liquid yellow ( extra 1200, Racing blue, Albi blue, Ultra red & black) - there was ONE white one made & is number 500/500- so If you see any white ones listed as an F1 - its not-

With a budget of up to 8k *IF* your looking to spend all that you will get a decent F1- obviously depends on what colour you want-
Look for a high spec one with the extras mentioned above-

If you want the cup version then again ideally A/C is important-
People rave on about recaros & TBH ideally they are in the spec list- just be aware that most have been repaired after 3 years as the cloth is poor on the wear front-

Any other questions punt up on here-

This is a standard 197 with the aero kit bumper & Spoiler
http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/9930/010xs.jpg

A 197 Cup with Aero
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/4256/p1000600nh.jpg

A 197 cup standard
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2916/005zzj.jpg

An R27
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/7398/003gom.jpg

An R27

Last edited:
I would recomend the cup version (as i have one) but the F1's seem to be holding their money and maybe better as an investment sort of thing.

Allthough the cup version of the 197 is rarer, according to howmanyleft.co.uk no more than 385 :thumbup:

Last edited:
Welcome along. If you fancy a mint condition F1 in the rarest colour with all the options, upgraded brakes, ktec exhaust and a TDF Motorsport re-map, then my old car is for sale at a dealer in Harrogate. I owned it from new and it has only done 40k :

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...postcode/ng184xg/radius/1501/page/2?logcode=p

Really was a fantastic motor, would love it to go to a good home. It has the Recaro seats, cup chassis, xenons, climate control, auto lights and wipers, electric folding mirrors, cornering lights, full decal pack. Only 36 were made in this colour, 4 of which have all the options, this is one of them.

Good luck with the search.

Last edited:
Had a similar dilemma to you, decided on an F1 and waited out for a good one with all the toys. You'd be maxin' the budget tho, with good examples around 8 to 8.5k.

Felt the F1 was just that bit more special and should hopefully hold its money bit better as well. Bit like a mk1 GT3 if you're talking Porsche terms..lol

Thanks all very good info.. and exactly what i was after.. So essentially a 197 with cup chassis or a f1 with the additional toys is the one to go for.. Just missed out on this one i thnk at 7k it was a good example...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261009066846?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Adrian, that looks like a great car although not my first choice of colour..
there is another rare blue one on PH but it has he cup spolier which is not doing anything for me...

having had a clio williams in the past the 197 should be able to fill in that gap before the next porker....:bounce:

Thanks all very good info.. and exactly what i was after.. So essentially a 197 with cup chassis or a f1 with the additional toys is the one to go for.. Just missed out on this one i thnk at 7k it was a good example...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261009066846?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Adrian, that looks like a great car although not my first choice of colour..
there is another rare blue one on PH but it has he cup spolier which is not doing anything for me...

having had a clio williams in the past the 197 should be able to fill in that gap before the next porker....:bounce:

There lies your next problem, the 197 in cup form was only availble in three colours.

White, racing blue and the best :smile:D) nimbus grey.

If you wanted another colour, say black it'd be a choice of an F1 or a full fat with cup chassis.

A full fat is a normal 197, keyless entry, aircon all the air bags etc but with the cup chassis. ie red calipers dark wheels etc.

Confusing aint it?

yes and i thought the 964,993,996,997,991 porker varients was confusing.. ;-)
nimbus grey is nice the black on the f1 hides the decals....which is a bit off putting...

Go for an Ultra red F1, that's what I bought at the weekend. I think this colour suits the decals best personally. (although I would say that)

Liquid Yellow F1. Great looking car, great colour, get the best of both. Just don't prang it! It costs a fortune to repair and is very hard to match up.

Last edited:
liquid yellow seems to be a premium colour...as its also going to be a car for my missus it needs to be a little understated.. the soild blues look a lot like the maritime porsche gulf colours looks great on a old 911 not so sure about the clio.. Is the cup spoiler easy to get off ? and fill the holes....

liquid yellow seems to be a premium colour...as its also going to be a car for my missus it needs to be a little understated.. the soild blues look a lot like the maritime porsche gulf colours looks great on a old 911 not so sure about the clio.. Is the cup spoiler easy to get off ? and fill the holes....

Wont be too hard to fill, flatten, prime and paint I imagine.

You need to see racing blue in the metal before you can comment on it :wink:

It's got to be Nimbus on an R27...

http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=160

:bounce1:

Racing Blue is a very nice colour. I had a 197 cup in this colour, does look better in the flesh. Pictures don't really do it justice.

Last edited:
Wont be too hard to fill, flatten, prime and paint I imagine.

Just had the sill done. Unfortunately the change in paint could be noticed. To cut a long story short, the spray guy said if you want the perfect match, you have to have the whole side done. Been very fussy about this kind of thing, it had to be done. The result is a perfect match 100%. However the pearl used is stupidly expensive which resulted in a big bill. The car looks showroom fresh though.

the soild blues look a lot like the maritime porsche gulf colours looks great on a old 911 not so sure about the clio..

Your getting mixed up, the old skool porsche gulf blue is a really light pastel colour, racing blue on the clios is more riviera crossed with maritime.

Based on what you have said it has to be a Racing blue R27- or Albi blue-

Go racing blue- much more likeable colour & more exclusive

S