197 airbox

ive recently purchased an aftermarket cone airfilter for my 197. managed to remove the panel filter from the airbox, then i hit problems, i cannot find how to remove the airbox, i cant see no nuts bolts clips etc..........ive had the battery out and everything!! help!!

I took the lid off my airbox and did a few tests with a thermomiter and it was getting really hot inside with the lid off, but the noise is soooo worth it

I thought u had probs with your airfilter in the first place and that's why it was down on power?

Lol oh yeah! The name looks really similar and thought I swear he has been down this route before why would he do it again lol!! Ooops!

Well I put a themomitor in my airbox ab did a country road at full pelt and took it out and looked at it, then took the lid off, put the themomitor back in and did the same road and it was alot higher in temperature and u could feel it as soon as you put your hand in the air box, you can feel it in th acceleration aswell.

Revs alot more freely when the top is on

Cold air standard noise = good
hot air awesome noise = bad

I would have the top off all the time but I would hate to pull up against another 200 and loose off the lights :worried:

+ all that dirty air bypassing the filter lol!

To be honest the way that the standard filter is positioned is quite good even with the top off, it locks into the intlet to the engine which means that no external rubbish can get into it without hitting the filter first! :thumbup:

Which is good seeing as we all like fiddling with it lol!

So it still protects the engine from dirty air even with the top off.

Even still I think I'll keep mine on lol, Decat sounds gd enuf 4 me

Yeah I had it off today and shoved the hoover into the bottom to clean it out. The inlet pipe is right at the top towards the back and when you put the filter on it clips in with a rubber seal around it, to prevent any air going in without passing through the filter! Its a great design really.

The two air feeds come in lower down which means that most of the rubbish falls to the bottom due to lower pressure of the larger volume of the airbox I would imagine. The filter was clean as you like but the bottom was full of junk.

Lol yeah I haven't heard the sound with the top off, not really bothered me before, but like you say Its best to keep the top on to keep it as cool as possible. TBH I would be interested to know how much heat is actually transferred to the air intake system even normally. It might be a good idea to insulate the whole system to keep it cooler!?

Last edited:
Remove all the battery and casing and I'm sure it just pulls out ! Don't remember any screws etc ! What kit are you intending on fitting out of interest?

Well I put a themomitor in my airbox ab did a country road at full pelt and took it out and looked at it, then took the lid off, put the themomitor back in and did the same road and it was alot higher in temperature and u could feel it as soon as you put your hand in the air box, you can feel it in th acceleration aswell.

Revs alot more freely when the top is on

Cold air standard noise = good
hot air awesome noise = bad

I would have the top off all the time but I would hate to pull up against another 200 and loose off the lights :worried:

I long for the day when i get to race a standard 197 see if my mods actually have made a difference lol

From an old PFC feature on how to fit an aftermarket filter to a 197 i think theres a bolt or screw under a small fusebox or something?

Even I looked at the name and thought it was me lol there's 1 bolt under the fuse box nex to the battery then it jus pulls off, dnt change it mate not worth or power is much better wiv standard airbox