Xenon hassle

leeboy

Paid Member
Evening

stopped for fuel tonight, got back in and fired it up only to notice my OSF headlight flickering constantly. I couldn't anything there and then, so continued on my way...now I haven't had the bulb out, but I can see that the projector is illuminated, by a very dull blue.....what's the thoughts on the igniter rather than bulb? Or do xenons usually do this before they constantly die?

Most likely the bulb is burnt out. The most demanding moment for the igniter is the initial start up at 23kV, then it stabilises at about 10kV. The bulb being burnt out would make sense because it can sustain the arc at the initial higher voltage but when it drops to working voltage it can't sustain the arc. It flickers because the igniter keeps going back to start-up voltage to initiate the arc.

So that dark dull blue color that I'm getting is actually the igniter then? And the igniter usually comes with a D2S bulb? I'm hoping you will say yes! As I have a track day next weekend and have no time off work to get it sorted if it is a ballast that gone wrong!

The dark dull blue colour seems to me to be a poorly sustained arc, like when a bulb is not up to temperature. To me it seems to be more likely the bulb needs replacing, for the sake of less than £20 it's worth changing the bulbs. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-Ser...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5633eaa191

If you end up needing to change the igniters then it's better to have 2 new bulbs than years old ones.

I can't say for sure whether the Clio ones are D2S or D2R, can't remember... ;/