Wrapping Diamonds - NOW WITH PICS pg 2

Tried to wrap my rear diamond 5 times now... i can't get the 3M material into the center of the diamond.
I'm using a hot air gun with variable heat, and every time i soften up the material in the center, it bounces back and un-sticks itself!

Any pro-tips? before i get fed up and try and wrap the cat or something...

Last edited:
Just wrap the cat!

Is the wrap carbon? Ive only used gloss wrap and it wasn't too bad, just took quite a bit of time to stretch out the bubbles. Why don't you send them off to be wrapped or sprayed?

Nope - I want to see the cat wrapped... I assume you meant animal, rather than exhaust cat :wink:

Might sound daft but push the vinyl in to the hole before heating it, make sure it is sticking out of the back. Don't stick the face (flat bits) first off. Then begin heating the centre first of all stretching it out as you go.

Hope it makes sense

Its a satin-black finish. looks really good so far. I may have to invent some sort of jig to slot into the center of the diamond to stretch it through the hole, then let it cool and keep its shape. might use some of that model making clay that goes hard when you bake it.

As for sending it off, i wanted to have a bash at this myself. I like little projects. keeps me off the streets :-p

Nope - I want to see the cat wrapped... I assume you meant animal, rather than exhaust cat :wink:

Might sound daft but push the vinyl in to the hole before heating it, make sure it is sticking out of the back. Don't stick the face (flat bits) first off. Then begin heating the centre first of all stretching it out as you go.

Hope it makes sense

Tried this method, but i didn't have a lot of luck getting rid of the puckering it produced on the material :worried:

Spray them black and just do the face and outside in carbon?? :huh:

Or just spray them black and do some 3M on the interior!

One of my mates wrapped his badge in matte black but whilst it was on the car. Think he cut the wrap to the shape and tried to stick it on the best he could... didn't turn out very well.

Why don't you spray it in black primer for the satin black look... I ended up spraying mine gloss as my wrap wasn't 100% (well nick sprayed it)

Try Paul's idea at pushing it through and holding it in place then heating it and stretch it on the face of the diamond

Ive lost count how many diamonds we've sprayed, 3M wrapping a diamond is tricky and really quite obvious when you look closely at it, ive been trying to do carbon effect ones sprayed up, getting close to something convincing.

I managed to do my rear diamond yesterday with 3m stuff and it turned out pretty well tbh . I stuck the face down first, stretched around the sides with heat gun so there were no creases and did the centre last. I put a tiny slit right in the centre and then slowly pushed and stretched until it covered the silver and folded over the back! Will do the front when i get a chance to take the bumper off ! I'll put a pic of my diamond up now

3M's 1080 vinyl wrap is the best I found to date, much easier to form around complex shapes and no need for using that primer stuff either.
CFbootlock2.gif

Will be using it to wrap diamonds and maybe those side bullets

Last edited:
3M's 1080 vinyl wrap is the best I found to date, much easier to form around complex shapes and no need for using that primer stuff either.

Will be using it to wrap diamonds and maybe those side bullets

Thats what ive got, got it on ebay ! Had no problems with it sticking and after the first "practice" it was really hard to peel off aswell ! Bullets look quite hard , ive tried getting the side repeater out to try them but it wont come out lol !

Managed to get it wrapped to a decent standard. Had to add some tiny extra bits in the tightest crevices of the diamond :-( but it looks good so long as you aren't trying to lick my boot lid...

Pics tomorrow when its daylight.

I managed to do my rear diamond yesterday with 3m stuff and it turned out pretty well tbh . I stuck the face down first, stretched around the sides with heat gun so there were no creases and did the centre last. I put a tiny slit right in the centre and then slowly pushed and stretched until it covered the silver and folded over the back! Will do the front when i get a chance to take the bumper off ! I'll put a pic of my diamond up now

You dont need to take your front bumper off to get the badge off, me and Nick didn't, theres enough space to get your hand and arm in to unscrew it, good job on the wrap by the way, looks quality

You dont need to take your front bumper off to get the badge off, me and Nick didn't, theres enough space to get your hand and arm in to unscrew it, good job on the wrap by the way, looks quality
Nice 1 ! I know but ive just sprayed my grills and ive had them in and out about 4 times and ive snapped 2 clips already so dont realy want to risk breaking anymore ! It looks black in the centre of diamond with the button there so you probably woudnt notice them anyway . Will be nice to see it on the car !