Would anyone recommend...

Painting your alloys rather than have them painted professionally...to save costs and add your own touch/ labour in the car.

If this is possible please can someone detail a guide on how it is done or a thread that has coverers DIY painting of wheels.

Apologies if this has been asked before

Cheers

Dean

Its not hard, esp if you remove the tyres. Its all in the prep really. Lots of sanding using ever finer grades of sandpaper to get a fairly smooth finish then a couple of coats of a high build primer. Again sanded down, and before you paint a wipe with some IPA to remove all contaminants from the surface. Then when painting lots of thin coats (probably 5 or more) and several thin coats of clear to finish. I've done this a few times with good results.

Satin black is real easy to get good results with.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I've not seen this kind of thread yet but in sure it exists.

I'm aiming to go black gloss - with tyres on. So, I'd have to properly bag up and mask the tyre I'm guessing?

I'll check tht video and ill plunk the courage after more research to crack on.

I have an albi blue 197. My silver standard alloys are slightly kernes on one wheel with the paint coming off. They need doing .

It would be much easier with the tyres removed, but if this isnt an option, deflate them a little so you can get as tight as possible to the inside of the lip

You could just spray them with Plasti-dip. Easy to peel off if you want to change colour.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lllkDHb0IlA[/YOUTUBE]

My badges and side bullets have been plasti dipped for over a year now with no issues at all

But a deck of playing cards and slide them in all around between wheel and tyre on their side. That's how I've always done it and never had an issue :smile:

I wouldnt bother with Plasti dipping, just take your time with the prep, and keep the layers of primer/paint light and just build it up, its not that difficult

I wouldnt bother with Plasti dipping, just take your time with the prep, and keep the layers of primer/paint light and just build it up, its not that difficult

I've ordered some plasti dip anyway just to see what its like. The added bonus that its fully reversible is great too! Especially if I muck up.