Will changing my brake discs void warranty? Will they notice?

Alright guys,

Since having my 197, the only driving criticism is that the brakes are far too progressive for my liking. It doesn't give me the most confidence when going on a B road thrash.

Would changing my discs over to a pair of ktech ones void my warranty? Also does anyone have any suggestions to a good pair of discs with great, immediate stopping power ( but not the kind of power what's going to give you whiplash! :smile: )

Thanks

Sam :thumbup:

You should probably looking at changing the pads more than the discs. Ds2500 or carbonne lorraines would be my advice.

As DanT said pads is your first call.

Fred @ BTM doesn't rate CL though. He bet me £1 and a mars bar mine will fall apart at silverstone. There is also a bigger chance of the falling apart than his V6 running. lol

They no doubt would notice but changing the disks would only affect the warranty of the braking system. If you had an engine fault they couldn't very well say that the disks that you fitted affected that.

I recently had a problem with the rocker cover gasket leaking oil into pots 3&4, got that fixed under warranty and I have a milltek fitted so I shouldn't worry bout it if I were you.

would it not be worth just having the brakes front and rear stripped down and "serviced" first before you jump in and fit parts that may not be needed :001_rolleyes:

You should replace you discs and pads with genuine Renault parts if you don't wanna affect your brake warranty. I your brakes are spongy then first port of call would be pads or perhaps the discs are worn

disks and pads are wear and tear items. You'll get no cover on them anyway

"Uprated" disks are snake oil. What you want to do is fit the best quality parts, and make sure the calipers are operating correctly.

We've fitted standard Pagid stuff to a 197 recently, which went to the ring next day. Performed admirably, and felt better than standard I'm told. We can do all sorts of upgraded pads for you too, and you're only local (We're near Bedford)

OEM discs are more than adequate, I'd recommend some better pads (Ferodo DS2500) and some braided lines. With that setup I've done 15+ fast/hard laps of Cadwell and didn't get any fade and the lines really do help give you more feel towards the bottom end of the brake pedals travel.

The pads give the extra bite and the lines should give you the feel you're missing.

Foxspeed, what would a brake service consist of?

in my book its -

fronts - strip down pads out - pistons checked for free movement - caliper clean - pad inspection/clean - anti-sieze on pads edges and pins etc - rebuild

rears - similar - strip down clean check - also handbrake adjustment/operation

you can also deglaze the face of the pads before refitting as well and put a small chamfer on the pad edges if required