Widest Tyre on 17 x 8?

fmp

Platinum Member
Hey guys

What is the widest tyre someone has fitted on a 8 inch wide rim?

I am thinking for my next set of 888's, to try and aid traction, to run a 235/40/17 or even a 245/40/17.

Rolling curcumference is near identical to the standard 215/45/17, so there is no issue there.

Let me know your thoughts.

cheers!

Is it lowered? If it is, just stick with 215. Mine rubbed like mad when I had 225's on! 215 888's don't look stretched at all on mine. Felt horrible as well, I could feel the flex in the side wall and didn't like it. Took away some of the sharpness.

Is it lowered? If it is, just stick with 215. Mine rubbed like mad when I had 225's on! 215 888's don't look stretched at all on mine. Felt horrible as well, I could feel the flex in the side wall and didn't like it. Took away some of the sharpness.

Mine too...

it is lowered, but only on Eibach springs.

Although I do plan to run coilovers in the future, and a tad lower.

Where does it rub? On the inner or outer arch?

Ive tried 235/40R17 on my 17x8 and preferred the feedback, playfulness & sharpness on the 215/45R17's

This was with R888's, 215/45R17 Yokohama A048's were better again...

If your going 235 try the federal rsr's these were on my car when i got it and for what was left on them they lasted well with a 2hr track session and some enthusiastic road driving.

They'll be better value than the R888's and come with more tread on them.

it is lowered, but only on Eibach springs.

Although I do plan to run coilovers in the future, and a tad lower.

Where does it rub? On the inner or outer arch?

Rub on the wing mate and the arch! Worn some of my paint off!! I changed straight away! The 888's look fine, not stretched at all. Have a look at some of my pics, IMO anything more than 215 isn't needed at all.

They'll be better value than the R888's and come with more tread on them.

They have a softer sidewall though so you lose a bit of feel with them and they tend to tuck in a little so can be a little understeery, compared to an 888.

What about Kumho V70a it's what I e got on the megane just now and they're good. Not as noisy as the Toyo's either.

I went for the hard compound as the front left takes a beating at Knockhill and they're fairing well.

Thanks for the info guys.

Looks like I will stick with what I use at the moment then (215/45/17 888's)