Wheel Stud Conversion

Fernandez

Gold Member
Anyone done this?

When putting the new alloys on it became apparent that the std Renault bolt heads were nearly too big. We had to tighten them by hand and use a thin walled socket. The normal socket Ste had were too thick and wouldn't tighten up without fouling the alloy wheel.

Thinking that stud conversion maybe the way forward as it may allow me to fit a nut with a smaller head.

Has anyone done this to the Clio, what size studs would I need?

You could just get new bolts with 17mm heads.

When I got my spacers from Ktec the longer bolts had 17mm heads for some reason.

Would probably be easier than a stud conversion.

930Tech has done it but I'm sure it cost over £300.

THat was for the cup racer studs I'm sure.

930Tech has done it but I'm sure it cost over £300.

THat was for the cup racer studs I'm sure.

Christ, didn't think some nuts and bolts would be so expensive.

Just did a quick/rough add up on demon tweeks for a set of 20 studs and 20 nuts £270!

Those are the right thread for our cars (M14 x 1.5) and the nuts look right in the pics but the description says . . . .

OEM Style Black Finish Radius Type Nuts

. . . which some VW's (and Porsche) have, we need a 60 degree tapered seat which I believe he does in other kits.

I'd seen these before, I mailed him through ebay a while back because he was offering kits for our cars but with a 12mm thread, he didn't know our cars had a bigger thread.

If these had been available when I was looking I could have save a small fortune, I bought the clio cup nuts, about £7 each and demon tweeks studs about £6.50 each but I could have bought clio cup studs at £18 each :chair: