Wheel grinding on lower arm on full lock...

Afternoon all,

Really weird issue with my 197, its an 07 non cup pack i believe.. only had it 3 weeks, ive noticed that it grinds on full lock to the left and it looks like the wheel is catching the lower arm? Its only happens on the passengwr side? Can anyone advise what this is? Im decent with a set of spanners but never seen this before, the car had a new suspension leg amd ball joints before i bought it so wondering if the garage who did it have put something on the wrong way?
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Yes mate its scoring the lower suspension arm and the inner rim of the wheel, will put some pics up as soon as i get home, ive noticed the the left wheel turns more to the left than my other does.. when you full lock left my passenger wheel, the one that is catching the lower arm definitely stick out a lot more than when i full lock right and compare it to my drivers side wheel, ive also checked the receipt that was given by the garage amd it says theyve done the tracking and in brackets it says the took the steering wheel off?

Mine had this problem too. I'm not sure what the actual cause was for certain, but I put a new steering rack in as mine was on the way out and the problem disappeared....So it could be a worn rack

Probably not what you wanted to hear lol

Thanks for the replies :smile:, not sure how to determine how if i have a worn rack but i am getting a metallic knock from the drivers side front when i hit a pot hole of a speed bump on the way down, its a really strange problem, it is literally as if my passenger wheel turns more than the other but the tracking seems fine and doesnt pull left or right :-/, going to get it up in the air with both front wheels off this weekend and see if i can spot any differences or worn parts, how can i determine a worn rack? Obviously dont want to change it if it isnt knackered lol

has the rack inner ball joint/arm been replaced on that side?

the kit comes with a different stop for the normal clios - like a plastic spacer - this could be the issue too much rack travel?

I cant see any history of the rack inner joint being changed but the lower ball joints have been done, i just think its something the garage has done wrong, the passenger side has had a whole new suspension leg fitted like 5 weeks ago so they must of seen the scooring on the inmer side of the wheel and lower suspension arm, you cant miss it... just cant figure what it is lol, think my best bet is to get both sides up in the air.. wheels off n try spot the difference between the sides

I had this issue when I replaced my 197 rack with a rack off a 200. I just added wheel spacers to the front to solve the issue. But I believe the cause is too short inner steering arms

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

But surely if the arms are a different the tracking would be miles out from the start? I have just seen on an invoice that the tracking was done and in brackets its says ( steering wheel removed to align properly)... pretty sure u dont take a steering wheel off to do tracking?.. i take it the 200 has the shorter arms?

there is still enough thread on the arm to correct the tracking. it just alters the arc of the wheel on full lock which hits the lower control arm.
the steering wheel off is a clue that the arms may have been incorrect hence they thought to remove the wheel which is proper drastic

Ahh ok makes a bit more sense now mate thanks :smile:, so mine is the non cup version, which arms should i have on mine? As i will order them now :smile:
Thanks again for everyones help on this i thought originally it would of been a bigger problem than this lol

if done correctly there should be the same amount of exposed thread on each track rod - if not it cocks up toe out on turns - which in effect is the issue you have as the inner wheel has to turn more than the inner wheel...

I had the car up in the air earlier and there is alot more thread showing on the passneger side.. so is definitely the wrong arm, can someone point me in the direction of the right one? Guessing i need the shorter one of the 2?