What would you do?

Cleaned my rear brakes up last weekend as they'd been squealing like a stuck pig after long journeys.

They were quite cruddy, but didn't seem to bad once cleaned up. Even wear on the n/s rear, with 3-4mm left. However, on the o/s rear the pad on the piston side had a lovely imprint of the piston on the back, and had about 5-6mm of material on, whilst the other pad was down to 1-2mm.

Despite cleaning everything up as much as it could, checking the slide pins, I'm sure they're probably still not quite right because of that piston imprint.

Quandry is whether to change them before doing Oulton Park on the 29th, or just leave it until after the day. It's 36k mile service is due in Feb anyway so they'll be changed then at least.

I would have them checked out and replaced if advised, not worth spoiling your day at oulton if they aren't right.

Hope your well :smile:

One pad in a caliper wearing more than the other must mean sticky sliders, perhaps putting a bit of copper grease on the sliders would help.

Only other possibility is someone just changing 1 brake pad in the past, in which case I would get all the rear pads changed

finish them off on the track day and then fit new ones

make sure everything is free to move cleaned and lubed if required and make sure the pistons are wind back fully and that the handbrake is adjusted correctly - ie is de-adjusted new pads fitted and then adjusted :thumbsup:

Don't worry about them at Oulton the rears don't do much anyways.

If your uprating the pads once you have them changed at it's service I'd only uprate the fronts and keep the rears the standard pads.

What's odd about it is that, in my experience, uneven pad wear because of sticky sliders generally means that the pad on the piston side wears more. Whereas this is the opposite way around!

That and the fact that the piston has imprinted the relatively unworn pad. :?

You always get an imprint of the piston on the back of the pad, I assume you mean its just marked, and not actually deformed by the piston?

What's odd about it is that, in my experience, uneven pad wear because of sticky sliders generally means that the pad on the piston side wears more. Whereas this is the opposite way around!

That and the fact that the piston has imprinted the relatively unworn pad. :?

if the piston sticks you should have more wear on the piston pad and if the slider is sticking then you get wear on that pad - as the piston can still "retract" slighlty from the on position whereas if it sticks it gets freed off by the pad wearing away

The piston has actually pressed into the pad, whereas on the n/s rear both pads are evenly worn and the pad has no piston imprint.

I think what's happened is that the outside pad has become stuck, either through crud/corrosion to the plates the pad slides on (the spring plates on the caliper bracket), and that this has stopped the pad from releasing. Or maybe the inside pad has got too hot, expanded against the bracket and prevented the piston from pushing it against the disc, meaning the outside pad has done more of the work.

Either way, it's all cleaned and greased now so I'll just see how it goes. I suspect I'll just leave it until after the trackday and then replace.