What to do....?

At the end of Feb I bought a 60 plate RS Gordini (pics on Gallery) it was done through my local Renault dealership and they sourced the car from another dealership up in Scotland.

I paid cash for it and on the same day bought a 59 plate Qashqai for the Mrs to run around in - therefore we paid for both cars on the same day. On the way to the dealership to pick up both cars we were phoned to be told they couldn't tax the Clio due to the fact it wasn't 'in trade'.

A long story short, what's happened is the dealership in Scotland bought the Clio WITHOUT the logbook, the previous owner has apparently lost it. I've been told that this breaks every rule in the book and the salesman that took the car on has since been 'dealt with' - I know the car is taxed until June 2014 (via HPi) and my dealer is trying to buy the old tax disc from the previous owner but not having much luck in contacting her.

At the moment, my dealer is having to apply for a new logbook via DVLA - but apparently this entails DVLA writing to the previous owner as the car is not 'in trade' to disclose that she has sold the car on, and therefore they can then issue a new logbook for the Clio. I paid for the car on the 28th of Feb and as it stands now, its still sat on the forecourt until it can be taxed. They have since given me a '13 plate Megane to drive about in until the problem is resolved, but the question is, how long do i give it before I say enough's enough and find another.

I do really like the car, and I think thats ultimately what is stopping me from moving on to find another but its dragging on and on. What would you do? Is something more sinister at work maybe??

Hi mate,

That sounds like an absolute nightmare, for me personally (although I am very impatient) I would have moved on and found another as soon as all this came out about not having logbook etc. Even if the salesman has been 'dealt with' I wouldn't trust the garage and would find another.

Just my 2p!

So technically its her car still? or am i wrong on that. Anyway imo they have to wait for the dvla to reissue the V5 to the dealer after they prove proof of purchase and can then send the V5 slip off and then sell the car too you.

Waiting for the dvla could take ages and therefore i'd tell the dealer you are now going to look at other cars and should you find one you expect a full and prompt refund.

Depends on how much you want the car. There is no better answer than that.

If you think it's worth the wait, you will.

Thanks for the advice so far, I've been looking throughout the day at various options (picking through AT) my budget is in the region of 9.5k - 10.5k and the two i've seen that look tempting are a long long way from me (Bristol and Dorset) I don't have a part ex or need finance so its tricky in terms of going to look at the car and then go back to pick it up etc. This is why i'm sort of inclined to wait it out a little, I hear those about the depreciation so wondering if i should go back for some sort of compensation or re-negotiate with the price I originally paid 9.8K.