197: What to do!?

I'd suggest he didn't run a car then!

What a useless reply. I've just graduated Uni and at present don't have a job but I can run a 197 due to my savings etc.

However as he's just starting Uni, running a 197 is a teeeeeny bit more expensive than a 138

What a useless reply. I've just graduated Uni and at present don't have a job but I can run a 197 due to my savings etc.

However as he's just starting Uni, running a 197 is a teeeeeny bit more expensive than a 138

Yeah i've been looking at MPG of a 197 to 138 TBF they're not that much different!

Buy a 172/182. 40 mpg is easy, cheaper to run, quicker too. When things go wrong with the 197, you can be assured it will be a much bigger bill than a 1*2.

Last edited:
Well going by the one after the other issues my mate had with his 172, everything that went wrong with that car was a massive and expensive job. Even general work like a cambelt change, yes it's a c*nt of a job on a 197, but it's even more of bigger c*nt of a job on a 172/182. (and that's coming from my mate who is an ex Renault mechanic)

The engine is still is the same throughout the renaultsport clio range, same in the 172, 182, and 197 mate, just different cams, inlet manifold, exhaust manifold, and Ecu in the 197. But your definitely right about the NCAP safety rating between the 172/182 to the 197.

I've been looking at the Clio 2.0 138bhp and fiesta ST but then the Clio 197 came up.

what the hell is a clio 2.0 138? do you mean the mk1 clio with the 1.8 liter F7P engine?

I owned one for three years. good car, but slightly dated now. ah and I ruined the engine once during a slalom race... easy to rebuild though.

what the hell is a clio 2.0 138? do you mean the mk1 clio with the 1.8 liter F7P engine?

I owned one for three years. good car, but slightly dated now. ah and I ruined the engine once during a slalom race... easy to rebuild though.

Renault released a model under the sport, had a 2litre engine with 138bhp from 2005 onwards I think?