197: What to do!?

Been looking for a new car for quite a while now, my car is a polo 1.9 tdi and is getting on my nerves I want a petrol! I've been looking at the Clio 2.0 138bhp and fiesta ST but then the Clio 197 came up. I love the look and they're quick. But lots of people say the there is nothing in low down revs. What are the common issues are them? I'm only 19 20 in October. I only drive 50/60 miles a week on b roads not a lot at all maybe the odd drive to Uni. Might cover 100 miles just pottering about. What does everyone think of them. Could I pick one up for 4k? Cheers

Last edited:
You definitely won't get a decent 197 for 4k

Insurance is generally quite high on them as well. You could get a really good 182 for that price though.

i agree you wont get one for 4k, they can be a pain in low revs but hit the high rev and you wont care lol, i would imagine the insurance would be quite high for you as their a group 16?

i agree you wont get one for 4k, they can be a pain in low revs but hit the high rev and you wont care lol, i would imagine the insurance would be quite high for you as their a group 16?

Insurance isn't that bad tbf. I'm paying £900 ATM only been driving a year. Clio 197 only £1600 and I mean 5k ive see a few decent 06/56/07 plates for that. What's fuel like? What are they like to drive as a daily?

fuel can be high can be low, depends how you drive, with the clio it wants you to drive it on high revs, i get on average 27mpg with abit of high rev + normal driving, i love driving mine all the time, stop/starting in traffic does my head in though

fuel can be high can be low, depends how you drive, with the clio it wants you to drive it on high revs, i get on average 27mpg with abit of high rev + normal driving, i love driving mine all the time, stop/starting in traffic does my head in though

I'm really tempted tbf! But the Clio 138 seems a good option for me.

I'd never pay 1600 on insurance but that's me. I owned a clio 138 for 3 years and put 41k on it and never had a single problem with it and got around 35mpg, was cheap to insure also.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a 197 in your budget, have you also taken the running costs into account?

I'd never pay 1600 on insurance but that's me. I owned a clio 138 for 3 years and put 41k on it and never had a single problem with it and got around 35mpg, was cheap to insure also.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a 197 in your budget, have you also taken the running costs into account?

True the 138 is like 1300 so £400 extra. It does seem a good option quite nippy torquy down low. And I've seen lots of 197's in my budget sub 60k miles 138's are harder to find although! Have you drove both?

True the 138 is like 1300 so £400 extra. It does seem a good option quite nippy torquy down low. And I've seen lots of 197's in my budget sub 60k miles 138's are harder to find although! Have you drove both?

The 138 is far easier to drive around town etc. Yeah I have a 197 now. It's a completely different car in feel to the 138, obviously the ride is a lot harsher, lower mpg and shorter service intervals but it's an incredibly fun car.

I'd weigh up the running costs of both and maybe test drive a few 138's/197's and see how you feel

You can get a 197 for £4k

High mileage ones are getting to that price now and a few damaged/repaired are coming up at that and less now but getting to 5 years old, make sure the cambelt has been done.

I think I'm going to get a 138 for a few years while I'm at Uni, never know I may get a good placement and be able to afford a 197... But i've only been driving a year and half I think i'm just a tad too young for a 197 seems that I haven't got a job! 138 seems a good option :smile: anyone got any reviews or owned one of them? Cheers

Well as I said I owned a 138 for 3 years and put 41k on it. Quite nippy and didn't have a single problem with it for 3 years

Fiesta ST must be better than 138. 138 has almost nothing in common with 197 other than some trim and doors, suspension completely different, RenaultSport had to completely redesign as standard suspension was rubbish.

Fiesta ST must be better than 138. 138 has almost nothing in common with 197 other than some trim and doors, suspension completely different, RenaultSport had to completely redesign as standard suspension was rubbish.

ST more insurance, and I think it shouts CHAV when driving it but not sure.. going to test drive both.. :smile:

He's been driving a year and a half and doesn't have a job...

Haha yes true! I'm at Uni hopefully get a job soon ATM I'm delivering takeaways in my polo diesel bus. It pays the bills :tongueout: 138 vs ST its going to be the shoot out! Ha. What's everyone's choice? Is the 138 quick?

For a 2.0L I'd say it's quite the opposite with 130
Odd Hp.

May as well get a c2 VTS IMO.
Smaller, lighter car, same bhp almost.
Cheaper to buy, cheaper tax and better mpg. Insurance is probably quite a lot cheaper than he clio too

Last edited: