What Petrol Are You Using?

What Fuel/Where From? (Sorry if I missed any)

• Total voters
I run E85... I wish lol.

I always use Tesco momentum 99, exactly the same as shell 99 in my eyes apart from tesco is cheaper!

Shell Nitro, or Sainsburys Super, whichever is closest when it needs filling up. I've never put regular unleaded in.

Nitro+

Only ever put this in. May have been V Power at first, now it's V Power Nitro+
Owned the car 15 months, and wouldn't put standard fuel in

I use a tank every 2 weeks or so, which works out at about £2.50 a week more than normal fuel
No reason to not use it, in my opinion

Its handy that the Shell garage is opposite my work as well lol

I generally fill up on BP ultimate.

Has anyone actually gone to the effort of testing the claimed octane rating of the fuels?

I know its very common for the cheaper, low octane fuels. To be actually lower than what they claim. (but hey who is going to know without some pretty expensive kit, or access to a University lab)

Anyone changed to Tesco momentum 99 after using Shell V-Power Nitro+ for a long time. (The only two 99 RON fuels seeing as BP Ultimate is now 98 RON)

Any difference in running, performance, behaviour, tick-over etc etc ?

Because there's a difference in price..........8p per litre cheaper down here for the Tesco's Momentum. That and i'm having enormous troubles with my Shell drivers card and registering points and "getting a little back". So i think its time to say 'F-you" to Shell.

Anyone changed to Tesco momentum 99 after using Shell V-Power Nitro+ for a long time. (The only two 99 RON fuels seeing as BP Ultimate is now 98 RON)

Any difference in running, performance, behaviour, tick-over etc etc ?

Because there's a difference in price..........8p per litre cheaper down here for the Tesco's Momentum. That and i'm having enormous troubles with my Shell drivers card and registering points and "getting a little back". So i think its time to say 'F-you" to Shell.

I went the other way, 99 > Shell V Power

Originally was using the 99 as like you say, its cheaper and the fuel shouldn't be any different. Figured I'd give V Power a go for a few tanks to see if there was any difference. For me the V Power seemed noticeably smoother, the car was much happier at cold and felt less bogged down and jumpy overall.

TBH I think it was probably more in my head than the fuel itself, or maybe it was just the car.

I think my Clio, like others I've spoken to, seem to have good days and bad days. I really wish there was a definitive answer to what was causing it and/or a fix. This morning for example car drove perfectly from the moment I set off. Yesterday evening when leaving work it nearly put my face through the windscreen and was properly reluctant to accelerate without ****ting itself first. My only major gripe with the Clio really, lets it down.

Cheers buddy.

Good days and bad days agreed. PMPL at going through the windscreen !

Im hoping my remap when Zorst is fitted will get rid of some of the glitches, but not entirely hopeful as they wont be getting many chances to do anything from cold.....

I've used most of the fuels above bar standard supermarket and in honesty, on an otherwise standard car, I can't tell much if any difference. It feels a bit more peppy on premium stuff but I don't believe for one second that it's gained anything worth mentioning. I only use the premium for the extra cleaning additives it has, to help keep the fuel system and injectors in good nick.

Cheers buddy.

Good days and bad days agreed. PMPL at going through the windscreen !

Im hoping my remap when Zorst is fitted will get rid of some of the glitches, but not entirely hopeful as they wont be getting many chances to do anything from cold.....

I've been thinking about a remap myself for ages, even on a stock exhaust, just to see if it can sort out the cold start issues. Be really interested to hear how yours changes after the remap - although I know you're going the whole hog with manifold, exhaust etc etc.

It's really strange, my commute out of work is pretty much a straight road for approx 1 mile, in the same location every day, you can feel the engine change.

I pull out of the car park, get onto the road, cruise at about 35mph in 4th and after approx 30 seconds/400metres or so, with my foot in exactly the same place on the accelerator, you can feel the engine change and suddenly the car picks up a little speed and feels more urgent. It's like a limiter has suddenly been turned off and everything starts working as it should. Give or take 20 metres, it happens in the same place everyday.

My only theory is it has some sort of cold-start ECU Map for the first 1-2mins of driving. Either that, or something like it's using up the fuel sitting in the fuel lines, rather than fresh from the tank. Once it clears the lines after the first little bit of driving and starts using "new/fresh" fuel, it works fine.

Interesting.

I get EXACTLY the same feeling in mine as the car 'warms up'. Although I would say it's slightly longer than your 30 seconds.

BUT......there is DEFFO a time fairly quickly where when at same throttle and steady speed - when taking it easy on a cold engine - when car almost momentarily surges and coughs into life. Very subtle and no huge surge, lunge, splutter etc but it DEFFO kicks into a happier mode for whatever reason.

You may well be correct. I will DEFFO be asking the mapper over this trait.

Interesting.

I get EXACTLY the same feeling in mine as the car 'warms up'. Although I would say it's slightly longer than your 30 seconds.

BUT......there is DEFFO a time fairly quickly where when at same throttle and steady speed - when taking it easy on a cold engine - when car almost momentarily surges and coughs into life. Very subtle and no huge surge, lunge, splutter etc but it DEFFO kicks into a happier mode for whatever reason.

Yeah maybe closer to 2mins rather than 30seconds - it probably takes me the first 30seconds to get my seatbelt on and unfold the wing mirrors haha! Very interested to hear what you find out :smile: when are you booked in for your remap?

Interesting.

I suffer from the same, and seeing as I work at a site on a slip road joining the A14 so it's certainly tempting to put the pedal down after the engines been running about 20 seconds!

Inconsistent though, it's been running pretty well from cold the last couple of weeks... maybe the warmer weather is doing a job of keeping my engine warm during the day!

I suffer from the same, and seeing as I work at a site on a slip road joining the A14 so it's certainly tempting to put the pedal down after the engines been running about 20 seconds!

Inconsistent though, it's been running pretty well from cold the last couple of weeks... maybe the warmer weather is doing a job of keeping my engine warm during the day!

Ive only had mine 6 weeks. So not any proper- cold starting yet.

But warmth does seem to help....

Ive only had mine 6 weeks. So not any proper- cold starting yet.

But warmth does seem to help....

Mine was definitely much worse and more regular during the colder month...

It'll still do it if I trying a boot it down the slip road, but I've learned to cruise a few miles before working the engine hard!