Votes: 12 35.3%
  • Supercharger conversion

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Turbo conversion

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters

Fernandez

Gold Member
The quest for more power seems to throw up more questions than answers but given the choices below what would you go for:

1: R26 engine swap

2: Cams, forging and throttle bodies

3: Supercharger conversion

4: Turbo conversion

Each has Their own merits and each comes with it's own problems but which one offers the best performance and reliability against overall cost?

Cams and throttle bodies wouldn't require forged pistons they are solely for blown engines as standard can't take the intense heat of blown induction.

R26 conversion sounds good but is it cost effective over a turbo kit?

Supercharging same again but it's all dependant on budget really.

There is power to be had straight away with cams and a few other tweeks and I think that's fast enough tbh.

I went for the cams as I really like the N/A nature of the Clio. That and it'll sound better.

Lol phil if that's all the 197/200 needs to make it an animal then I'm mistaken. They are 1 of the things that help on track but not necessarily a 100% fall in love with the car again thing :wink:

What about selling it and buying an R26.r??

Anyway....

Keeping it n/a would be nice but to get the best you really need to lower the gear ratios. If you increase the position of peak power by 10% and therefore get 10% more power you are only really quicker when you rev it longer so to be quicker all the time revised ratios would be better. But with this way you need to spend some serious wedge to achieve what some trackday tuition would get for a fraction of the cost.

Forced induction is gonna give you the feel that your money did some good.

Comes down to how much you want to spend? Set aside 4 grand and that pretty much covers R26 or SC. TB's are about £2800 and Cams are £2000ish. All these include parts and labour

Last edited:
i was thinking of a getting a r26 doner car, there was a cat b repaired up on pistonheads low mileage for £4500, ashame to pull apart but the car isnt worth much and with selling other parts would of only cost a grand or so for the conversion (if done by myself)

Lol how much you reckon that would cost raptor?

About the same as turbocharging an F4R 830.

The biggest problem is finding R26 engine/gearbox (LSD!!!), and the rest is easy (but expensive) - stand alone ECU, bigger IC, downpipe & exhaust (Miltek, KTR,...) = Clio with an LSD and +260bhp! And this would be "healthy & reliable" horses.

I'm liking the cams and throttle body route, seems to be the most reliable plus it keeps it n/a.

I contacted Laurent Motors about their F4R turbo kit, it does for the 197/200 and comes in three stages

Stage 1 - 50-60 bhp
Stage 2 - 60-90 bhp
Stage 3 - 90-150 bhp

the difference in kit is all down turbo, intercooler and wastegate, stage 3 would be mental but could the engine take it?

Last edited:
answer is no. without forged cons, bolts and pistons it would cause severe damage to the pistons and maybe even the block

you may even have to go down the route of nimonic valves aswell with a turbo, superchargers run cooler with a decent intercooler you can lose this problem

Well i was going to go the cam route with my 200 and was all set to buy a set.
However i spoke to Matt at Tdf and he reckoned it just isnt worth it for a road car keeping the std ecu.
Mainly to do with emissions etc...
Wholeheartedly yes for a pure track weapon but no for a roady.
Although he said he would be happy to take my cash...
So...handling/lightness for me...8)

Yes nos and forged rods and pistons so you can have 150bhp shots lol good shout paul