Warranties

I'm looking to buy a 59 plate 200 which is now out of warranty and after reading all the problems with gearboxes, etc i wuld definately want a warranty.
Can i walk into a Renault dealership and buy a years warranty or can theirs only be bought as a continuation of the 3 year 1 as it's about to expire?
Any idea how much they charge?
Anyone else have a different warranty (warrantywise, etc) and can this be used at a Renault garage without having to pay up front for repairs then have the hassle of claiming expenses back?

Cheers

I'm in the same situation with my Mazda, it's 3 years old at the beginning of December. But we've got a Pug 307 with a warranty on it from a company called TGS or something like that. We had to have a new indicator stalk fitted a few weeks ago, honestly it was easier than warranty claims from a franchised dealer. So I'm not sure which route to go down now really. I'm going to get a few prices I think and see what comes back as offering the best cover for the least money.

Well warrantywise is supposed to be 1 of the better aftermarket ones endorsed by quinten whatsisname.
I think unless the dealer has an account with them (or visa versa) then you have to pay up front and claim it back - bit expensive if you have to fork out for a gearbox, etc

Just found the info on a Renault extended 1 - you have to buy it before the 3 year 1 runs out :worried:

Just done a quote with warrantydirect and warrantywise. Direct was £100 cheaper than Wise for 12 months at £326 and £423 respectively. Seemed almost the same cover too. I seem to remember Mazda's being £330ish, so I'm going to ring up the dealer in my case and find out. But if I were you, I'd get a quote from warrantydirect.

Just done a quote with warrantydirect and warrantywise. Direct was £100 cheaper than Wise for 12 months at £326 and £423 respectively. Seemed almost the same cover too. I seem to remember Mazda's being £330ish, so I'm going to ring up the dealer in my case and find out. But if I were you, I'd get a quote from warrantydirect.

I'm not sure if they still do it buy a while ago when you enquired about a warranty with WD they would ring you up a day or so later asking if you wanted to take it out - you'd say no as it was too expensive and they would reduce the price, i once got £100 knocked off an online quote :thumbup:

I pay £21 a month for my warranty. Car is 5 years old next month and they sent me a reminder for next year stating price staying the same.

I got a few quotes last night and earlier on today.

Mazda want £361 for a 12 months extension, or £602 for a 24 month extension. This is literally identical cover to the 3 year new car warranty, which still includes European breakdown cover.

Warranty Direct want £274 for 12 months or £520 for 24 months. This means any repairs are done at an independent garage. There's no excess, no betterment charge, but doesn't come with any breakdown cover. So I would need to add this on top of the price really, which I haven't looked in to just yet, but over 2 years I'm guessing will cost more than the £81 saving over Mazda's warranty. The quote I got online was dearer than this, but they rang me this morning and altered it 'due to the lower mileage I expect to be doing'.

Warranty Wise are very expensive, but say they will beat any quote, so they are the same as Warranty Direct as far as I can see, providing they do keep to their promise of price matching.

Not sure if there are any other companies, but I think I might go with Mazda. That or I risk it and spend the money on mods! Lol! But seriously, if the turbo were to fail again, I can imagine the cost for the repair.

Ok home now.
I am with Car protect 08448541470 they are based in Sheffield. It is part of Motorway Direct plc.
I have a 5 Star Prestige cover, excess is £50 with single claim limit of £3000.
I have never claimed on mine but I recommended this company to a mate with an Audi A4 who had £1295 of engine work done and he only paid the £50. The garage got the work authorised before hand and just sorted it direct with the warranty company.