VVT rev limits

Does anyone know at what rev levels the VVT kicks in? for the 197 and 200.

In an effort to keep the fuel consumption down, if we knew what rev limits to shift up at it might avoid the VVT kicking in too much and guzzling fuel.

(yes i know it defies the point of having a sports car in the first place, but some of us have a fuel budgets :blink:smile:

I dont yet have a clio but as all the power is top end of the revs i would say it kicks in around 4.5/5k.

Just change gear at 3k to save fuel, simples

Danny

Thing is... the clio 200 boasts better low-end torque over the 197... i wonder if that's exclusively down to gearing or is there some ECU remapping going on too.

Might be one to ask a Renault mechanic or some one in the know.

My 197 goes mental after 4500 rpm, so I'm guessing about there. The torque is also here on the 197 though, so I think it feels like its doing more then it actually is. I'd imagine the 200 to be the same, just the torque is a bit lower. Which is better for eco driving. I just drove mine like a grandad for a few miles and I actually hate it! Didn't mind it so much on my old 1.2. But ye, I was changing between 2500 rpm and 3000 rpm. I think this is the rule of thumb for eco driving petrol engines. On a diesel you need to reduce it, but we're not bothered about those dirty things are we! Lol!

think you will find the vvt is constantly variable due to throttle position / engine load / engine speed etc

yeah its constantly variable thats just the workings of the engine VVT. ure talking about powerbands when u say it kicks in at 4.5k thats just the engine/ecu mapping. if you got it mapped and u floored it, it should pull throughout the entire rev range if its mapped properly.

the vtec is the same as vvt and the vvti u hear about its hard to explain so ive wikiepidied it

The profile, or position and shape of the cam lobes on the shaft, is optimized for a certain engine revolutions per minute (RPM), and this tradeoff normally limits low-end torque, or high-end power. VVT allows the cam timing to change, which results in greater efficiency and power, over a wider range of engine RPMs.

At high engine speeds, an engine requires large amounts of air. However, the intake valves may close before all the air has been given a chance to flow in, reducing performance. On the other hand, if the cam keeps the valves open for longer periods of time, as with a racing cam, problems start to occur at the lower engine speeds. This will cause unburnt fuel to exit the engine since the valves are still open. This leads to lower engine performance and increased emissions. For this reason, pure racing engines cannot idle at the low speeds (around 800 rpm) expected of a road car, and idle speeds of 2,000 rpm are not unusual.

Pressure to meet environmental goals and fuel efficiency standards is forcing car manufacturers to turn to VVT as a solution. Most simple VVT systems advance or retard the timing of the intake or exhaust valves. Others (like Honda's VTEC) switch between two sets of cam lobes at a certain engine RPM. Furthermore Honda's i-VTEC can alter intake valve timing continuously.

renault vvt - varies valve over lap only

honda vtec - varies cam profile/lift and overlap